Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Police Lay 330 Charges And Arrest 33 During Queen's Homecoming Weekend

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 17 Oct, 2017 11:50 AM
    KINGSTON, Ont. — Police say they laid hundreds of charges during Queen's University homecoming celebrations in Kingston, Ont., over the weekend.
     
    They say 307 of the 330 charges were under the Liquor Licence Act for violations such as having open alcohol, underage drinking and public intoxication.
     
    Police say officers seized three kegs during the celebrations on Friday and Saturday.
     
    The number of charges was almost double the 166 laid last year and higher than the 203 handed out in 2015.
     
    Thirty-three people were arrested — 30 for public intoxication and three for breach of the peace — up from 19 in each of the two previous years.
     
    Police Chief Gilles Larochelle described it as a "very busy weekend" for his force.
     
    "I am extremely proud of their efforts to ensure public safety and order, balanced with restraint and appropriate enforcement," Larochelle said Monday in a release.
     
    The university cancelled its fall homecoming in 2008 after police made 140 arrests on a variety of charges as thousands crowded Kingston's streets.
     
    Homecoming returned in 2013 and had seen fewer arrests and charges until this year.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Two UBC Students Hitchhike Across Canada, Spending A Total Of $10

    Two UBC Students Hitchhike Across Canada, Spending A Total Of $10
    Philippe Roberge, 22, and Ori Nevares, 23, hitchhiked from Whitehorse to St. John's over the summer in an effort to see the country and mark Canada's 150th anniversary.

    Two UBC Students Hitchhike Across Canada, Spending A Total Of $10

    B.C. Crown Wants Four Years For Man Who Created Revenge Website Against Ex-Wife

    B.C. Crown Wants Four Years For Man Who Created Revenge Website Against Ex-Wife
    VANCOUVER — A Crown prosecutor is asking a British Columbia judge to deliver a sentence of up to four years to a man convicted of criminally harassing his ex-wife through a revenge website.

    B.C. Crown Wants Four Years For Man Who Created Revenge Website Against Ex-Wife

    Darpan Magazine's Extraordinary Achievement Awards: Celebrating South Asian Excellence

    Darpan Magazine's Extraordinary Achievement Awards: Celebrating South Asian Excellence
    It’s that time of the year again! DARPAN is all set to present the most-exciting event of the year in Surrey – Darpan Magazine’s Extraordinary Achievement Awards 2017.

    Darpan Magazine's Extraordinary Achievement Awards: Celebrating South Asian Excellence

    Canada Won't Be Rushed Into Peacekeeping Mission: Harjit Sajjan

    Canada Won't Be Rushed Into Peacekeeping Mission: Harjit Sajjan
    OTTAWA — The Trudeau government will not be rushed into making a decision on where to send Canadian peacekeepers, Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan says.

    Canada Won't Be Rushed Into Peacekeeping Mission: Harjit Sajjan

    Commercial Truck Blitz Underway In Vancouver As More Than Half Fail Safety Check

    Commercial Truck Blitz Underway In Vancouver As More Than Half Fail Safety Check
    Vancouver Police say more than half of the commercial vehicles checked during a recent road-safety blitz were so badly maintained they were immediately ordered off the road.

    Commercial Truck Blitz Underway In Vancouver As More Than Half Fail Safety Check

    Man Dies Following Assault In Nanaimo, B.C.

    Man Dies Following Assault In Nanaimo, B.C.
    RCMP Cpl. Jon Stuart says a man was found injured in an apartment building on Monday night.

    Man Dies Following Assault In Nanaimo, B.C.