Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Police Lay 330 Charges And Arrest 33 During Queen's Homecoming Weekend

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 17 Oct, 2017 11:50 AM
    KINGSTON, Ont. — Police say they laid hundreds of charges during Queen's University homecoming celebrations in Kingston, Ont., over the weekend.
     
    They say 307 of the 330 charges were under the Liquor Licence Act for violations such as having open alcohol, underage drinking and public intoxication.
     
    Police say officers seized three kegs during the celebrations on Friday and Saturday.
     
    The number of charges was almost double the 166 laid last year and higher than the 203 handed out in 2015.
     
    Thirty-three people were arrested — 30 for public intoxication and three for breach of the peace — up from 19 in each of the two previous years.
     
    Police Chief Gilles Larochelle described it as a "very busy weekend" for his force.
     
    "I am extremely proud of their efforts to ensure public safety and order, balanced with restraint and appropriate enforcement," Larochelle said Monday in a release.
     
    The university cancelled its fall homecoming in 2008 after police made 140 arrests on a variety of charges as thousands crowded Kingston's streets.
     
    Homecoming returned in 2013 and had seen fewer arrests and charges until this year.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Police Sound Alarm After Four Women Assaulted On Vancouver Seawall

    Police Sound Alarm After Four Women Assaulted On Vancouver Seawall
    Vancouver Police are warning the public about a series of groping incidents while women were walking on or near the seawall, and are appealing to the public to help identify the man responsible.

    Police Sound Alarm After Four Women Assaulted On Vancouver Seawall

    Ex Vancouver Neo-Nazi Urges Parents To Talk To Kids About Their Take On Charlottesville

    Ex Vancouver Neo-Nazi Urges Parents To Talk To Kids About Their Take On Charlottesville
    VANCOUVER — A former neo-Nazi from Vancouver says the violence in Charlottesville, Va., presents an opportunity for parents and educators to become more aware of how easily youth can be lured into a seemingly exciting but potentially deadly world of hate.

    Ex Vancouver Neo-Nazi Urges Parents To Talk To Kids About Their Take On Charlottesville

    At Least Two Quebecers Who Attended White Supremacist Rally In Charlottesville Identified

    At Least Two Quebecers Who Attended White Supremacist Rally In Charlottesville Identified
    OTTAWA — At least two Quebec men have been identified after they travelled south to participate in a white supremacist rally last week in Charlottesville, Va.

    At Least Two Quebecers Who Attended White Supremacist Rally In Charlottesville Identified

    Figures Show Nearly 7,000 Asylum Seekers Nabbed At Quebec Border Over Six Weeks

    LACOLLE, Que. — Almost 7,000 asylum seekers have been intercepted at the Quebec-U.S. border in the last six weeks, authorities said Thursday.

    Figures Show Nearly 7,000 Asylum Seekers Nabbed At Quebec Border Over Six Weeks

    Canada On List Of Countries With Citizens Killed Or Injured In Barcelona Too

      Global Affairs says Canadians have been affected by the attacks, but did not provide further details, citing privacy reasons.

    Canada On List Of Countries With Citizens Killed Or Injured In Barcelona Too

    Investigators Release First Official Details Of 'Deadpool 2' Stuntwoman's Death

    Investigators Release First Official Details Of 'Deadpool 2' Stuntwoman's Death
    VANCOUVER — British Columbia's workplace safety agency has released the first official account of a "Deadpool 2" stuntwoman's death, saying SJ Harris was thrown off a motorcycle and propelled through a plate glass window.

    Investigators Release First Official Details Of 'Deadpool 2' Stuntwoman's Death