Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Police Say Explosions In Downtown Toronto Caused By Hydro Vault Fire

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 May, 2017 11:46 AM
    TORONTO — A series of blasts in Toronto's financial district that shut down the area Monday and sent commuters scrambling was caused by an overheated hydro vault fire, said officials.
     
    The first explosion was heard shortly after 5 p.m. and heavy black smoke was seen billowing from a set of grates outside a Royal Bank office building near King St. and Yonge St.
     
    The chaotic scene continued with sounds of underground blasts as officers herded crowds away from the scene.
     
    "Did you hear those sounds? Those are explosions," an officer was heard yelling to bystanders.
     
    No one was injured, Toronto Fire Services said.
     
    Police cruisers blocked off streets in the area and officers were seen wearing surgical masks as smoke hung in the air.
     
    The incident shut down a nearby subway station and caused several streetcars to take detours. The Toronto Transit Commission said late Monday that subway service and some bus routes through the area had resumed but streetcars on King St. were still being diverted.
     
    A section of King St. remained closed early Friday and it was unclear whether it would open in time for the morning rush hour.
     
    The Royal Bank office building and parts of an underground shopping concourse were evacuated due to heavy smoke, fire officials said.
     
    Toronto Fire Platoon Chief Kevin Shaw said firefighters were able to contain the blaze within an hour. He added that once hydro workers were able to cut the power to the vault, firefighters would be able to go in and douse any remaining hot spots.
     
    "It's energized electrical equipment that's in the vault, it overheats, starts melting down ... so that's where you're hearing the crackle and the popping," Shaw told reporters Monday night. "There (were) visible flames out of there probably a half hour ago, but we feel that it's definitely under control now."
     
     
    Shaw said the fire's cause would likely be determined once hydro crews could get access to the vault.
     
    "It could be dampness, water or an aging hydro vault, or all of the above," Shaw said. "It all leads up to one of these fires."
     
    He said he has seen worse hydro vault fires downtown, but added that crews had to take precautions because it happened during rush hour.
     
    Toronto Hydro workers were still unable to get to the vault by 9 p.m. Monday, spokeswoman Tori Gass told reporters. The utility said its crews would continue working through the night.
     
    Gass said she could not provide any information about what caused the explosions because it was still to dangerous for crews to go in to inspect.
     
    "It's going to be quite messy down there, quite toxic," Gass said. "I would say we're not going to have answers quickly, unfortunately."
     
    She said Toronto Hydro routinely checks vaults around the city to make sure they are safe, but she could not say when this vault was last inspected.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Thieves Make Off With A Lot Of Cheese From Southwestern Ontario Business

    Thieves Make Off With A Lot Of Cheese From Southwestern Ontario Business
    Ontario Provincial Police say the Village Cheese Mill in South West Oxford Township, east of London, Ont., was broken into earlier this week and "a large quantity of cheese" was taken from a walk-in cooler.

    Thieves Make Off With A Lot Of Cheese From Southwestern Ontario Business

    Accused N.S. Doctor Gets Go-Ahead To Resume Practice — With A Chaperone

    Accused N.S. Doctor Gets Go-Ahead To Resume Practice — With A Chaperone
    NEW GLASGOW, N.S. — A Nova Scotia physician charged with voyeurism after medical clinic staff were surreptitiously filmed in the washroom has approval to practice again.

    Accused N.S. Doctor Gets Go-Ahead To Resume Practice — With A Chaperone

    Fort McMurray Fire Chiefs Retires, Says No Regrets In Handling Of Wildfire

    Fort McMurray Fire Chiefs Retires, Says No Regrets In Handling Of Wildfire
    Darby Allen celebrated his retirement by having cake with colleagues on Thursday.

    Fort McMurray Fire Chiefs Retires, Says No Regrets In Handling Of Wildfire

    Judge Ends Manslaughter Case Against N.B. Police Officers In Shooting

    Judge Ends Manslaughter Case Against N.B. Police Officers In Shooting
    Const. Patrick Bulger and Const. Mathieu Boudreau were charged in the death of 51-year-old Michel Vienneau, who was shot in his vehicle outside the Bathurst train station on Jan. 12, 2015.

    Judge Ends Manslaughter Case Against N.B. Police Officers In Shooting

    Six Men Face Charges After RCMP Foil Alleged Cape Breton Cocaine Conspiracy

    Six Men Face Charges After RCMP Foil Alleged Cape Breton Cocaine Conspiracy
    Mounties say six people face a total of 23 charges in the 18-month-long investigation, dubbed Operation Halfpenny.

    Six Men Face Charges After RCMP Foil Alleged Cape Breton Cocaine Conspiracy

    'They Knew He Was Dying' Parents Guilty Of 1st-Degree Murder In Son's Death

    'They Knew He Was Dying' Parents Guilty Of 1st-Degree Murder In Son's Death
    Justice Karen Horner said Emil Radita, 60, and Rodica Radita, 54, were equally guilty of murdering 15-year-old Alexandru.

    'They Knew He Was Dying' Parents Guilty Of 1st-Degree Murder In Son's Death