Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Port of Prince Rupert optimistic about 2022

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Jan, 2022 03:06 PM
  • Port of Prince Rupert optimistic about 2022

PRINCE RUPERT, B.C. - Port officials in Prince Rupert, B.C., say 2021 was a difficult year as cargo volumes fell, but they are optimistic about a strong recovery.

The Prince Rupert Port Authority released its annual cargo volumes report Tuesday showing 25 million tonnes moved through the facility last year, a 23 per cent decrease in year-over-year total volume.

Pandemic- and weather-related supply chain disruptions, loss of a core coal customer, decreased shipments due to a poor crop year and a competitive West Coast market are all listed as reasons for the shortfall.

The statement from Shaun Stevenson, president and CEO of the port authority, says despite the upheavals, the port worked to streamline and accelerate the movement of containers while new expedited rail services to Toronto and Chicago will move cargo "at a record pace."

Stevenson says an inaugural shipment of liquefied petroleum gas also left the Watson Island terminal in April as several LPG facilities at the port were either commissioned or opened last year.

Other infrastructure projects in 2021 included the expansion of the Fairview Container Terminal and the addition of an eighth loading crane capable of servicing the largest vessels currently afloat.

The port's employers, industries and labour organizations also launched the Port of Prince Rupert Gateway Council, releasing an economic impact study showing Gateway operations in 2020 handled roughly $60 billion in trade and supported an estimated 3,700 direct jobs in northern B.C.

Effects of the pandemic, forest fires, floods and supply chain uncertainties all underscored the need for more investment and diversification in the Prince Rupert Gateway to offset future disruptions, Stevenson says in the release.

“By expanding, we hope to continue be a key economic driver in northern B.C. for the benefit of all and will be better positioned to offer Canadian industries supply chain security as the global economy rebounds from the effects of the pandemic,” he said.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

2 people in custody after shots fired in Newton

2 people in custody after shots fired in Newton
 A male was located suffering from serious, life threatening injuries and was transported to local hospital.  Two individuals are currently in custody.  

2 people in custody after shots fired in Newton

Single vehicle crash in Surrey claims lives of 3 teenagers, one of them identified as Ronin Sharma

Single vehicle crash in Surrey claims lives of 3 teenagers, one of them identified as Ronin Sharma
A single vehicle collision into a tree in the 16000-block of 104th Avenue claims lives of 3 teenagers.  The deceased have been identified Caleb Reimer, Ronin Sharma, and Parker Magnuson between the ages of 16-17 years old.    

Single vehicle crash in Surrey claims lives of 3 teenagers, one of them identified as Ronin Sharma

663 COVID19 cases for Friday

663 COVID19 cases for Friday
There are 6,345 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 150,657 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 129 individuals are in hospital and 59 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

663 COVID19 cases for Friday

B.C. may not move to Step 4 as cases rise: doctor

B.C. may not move to Step 4 as cases rise: doctor
Henry announced restrictions currently in place in the central Okanagan, such as mandatory mask wearing and reduced limits on indoor and outdoor events, will be expanded across the region in an effort to limit the rise in COVID-19 cases.

B.C. may not move to Step 4 as cases rise: doctor

Canada ramping up evacuation from Kabul

Canada ramping up evacuation from Kabul
He said the government is not requiring passports or COVID-19 negative tests from the Afghan passengers and is deferring biometric screening to a third country, where it's safe for evacuees and government officials to be screened.

Canada ramping up evacuation from Kabul

VPD investigates after driver injured in unprovoked assault

VPD investigates after driver injured in unprovoked assault
The frightening incident occurred around 1 p.m. on August 6, as a 25-year-old man was driving on West Georgia Street, near the Vancouver Art Gallery. A panhandler approached the front of his car, blocked his path forward, and started behaving erratically while asking for money.

VPD investigates after driver injured in unprovoked assault