Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Port of Prince Rupert optimistic about 2022

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Jan, 2022 03:06 PM
  • Port of Prince Rupert optimistic about 2022

PRINCE RUPERT, B.C. - Port officials in Prince Rupert, B.C., say 2021 was a difficult year as cargo volumes fell, but they are optimistic about a strong recovery.

The Prince Rupert Port Authority released its annual cargo volumes report Tuesday showing 25 million tonnes moved through the facility last year, a 23 per cent decrease in year-over-year total volume.

Pandemic- and weather-related supply chain disruptions, loss of a core coal customer, decreased shipments due to a poor crop year and a competitive West Coast market are all listed as reasons for the shortfall.

The statement from Shaun Stevenson, president and CEO of the port authority, says despite the upheavals, the port worked to streamline and accelerate the movement of containers while new expedited rail services to Toronto and Chicago will move cargo "at a record pace."

Stevenson says an inaugural shipment of liquefied petroleum gas also left the Watson Island terminal in April as several LPG facilities at the port were either commissioned or opened last year.

Other infrastructure projects in 2021 included the expansion of the Fairview Container Terminal and the addition of an eighth loading crane capable of servicing the largest vessels currently afloat.

The port's employers, industries and labour organizations also launched the Port of Prince Rupert Gateway Council, releasing an economic impact study showing Gateway operations in 2020 handled roughly $60 billion in trade and supported an estimated 3,700 direct jobs in northern B.C.

Effects of the pandemic, forest fires, floods and supply chain uncertainties all underscored the need for more investment and diversification in the Prince Rupert Gateway to offset future disruptions, Stevenson says in the release.

“By expanding, we hope to continue be a key economic driver in northern B.C. for the benefit of all and will be better positioned to offer Canadian industries supply chain security as the global economy rebounds from the effects of the pandemic,” he said.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver Police seeks witnesses after man’s throat slashed by stranger

Vancouver Police seeks witnesses after man’s throat slashed by stranger
The victim, a 46-year-old man from Vancouver, was near Quebec Street and East 10th Avenue around 3 p.m. Sunday afternoon when someone approached from behind and cut his throat, then walked away.

Vancouver Police seeks witnesses after man’s throat slashed by stranger

VPD arrests suspect following East Van groping, assault

VPD arrests suspect following East Van groping, assault
Police believe the suspect was walking near Broadway and Commercial Drive around 8 a.m. Sunday when he allegedly approached a 35-year-old man outside a fast-food restaurant and sexually assaulted him by groping him from behind. A number of people saw the incident and called 9-1-1, but the suspect fled before police arrived.

VPD arrests suspect following East Van groping, assault

1434 COVID19 cases over 3 days

1434 COVID19 cases over 3 days
There are 5,090 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 149,553 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 104 individuals are in hospital and 47 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

1434 COVID19 cases over 3 days

Woman's body found in Pitt Meadows

Woman's body found in Pitt Meadows
On Sunday, August 15, at around 12:40 PM, Emergency Health Services (EHS) advised Ridge Meadows RCMP of a deceased female located in a field in the 20000 block area of Old Dewdney Trunk Rd.

Woman's body found in Pitt Meadows

Parties promise economic help as campaign begins

Parties promise economic help as campaign begins
Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole laid out his party's full platform, which similarly aims to create jobs, but also unwinds the Trudeau government's child-care system.

Parties promise economic help as campaign begins

Meng Wanzhou's defence to continue in B.C. court

Meng Wanzhou's defence to continue in B.C. court
The B.C. Supreme Court is hearing formal arguments in the extradition case for the telecom executive that began last week amid rising diplomatic tensions.

Meng Wanzhou's defence to continue in B.C. court