Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Port of Prince Rupert optimistic about 2022

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Jan, 2022 03:06 PM
  • Port of Prince Rupert optimistic about 2022

PRINCE RUPERT, B.C. - Port officials in Prince Rupert, B.C., say 2021 was a difficult year as cargo volumes fell, but they are optimistic about a strong recovery.

The Prince Rupert Port Authority released its annual cargo volumes report Tuesday showing 25 million tonnes moved through the facility last year, a 23 per cent decrease in year-over-year total volume.

Pandemic- and weather-related supply chain disruptions, loss of a core coal customer, decreased shipments due to a poor crop year and a competitive West Coast market are all listed as reasons for the shortfall.

The statement from Shaun Stevenson, president and CEO of the port authority, says despite the upheavals, the port worked to streamline and accelerate the movement of containers while new expedited rail services to Toronto and Chicago will move cargo "at a record pace."

Stevenson says an inaugural shipment of liquefied petroleum gas also left the Watson Island terminal in April as several LPG facilities at the port were either commissioned or opened last year.

Other infrastructure projects in 2021 included the expansion of the Fairview Container Terminal and the addition of an eighth loading crane capable of servicing the largest vessels currently afloat.

The port's employers, industries and labour organizations also launched the Port of Prince Rupert Gateway Council, releasing an economic impact study showing Gateway operations in 2020 handled roughly $60 billion in trade and supported an estimated 3,700 direct jobs in northern B.C.

Effects of the pandemic, forest fires, floods and supply chain uncertainties all underscored the need for more investment and diversification in the Prince Rupert Gateway to offset future disruptions, Stevenson says in the release.

“By expanding, we hope to continue be a key economic driver in northern B.C. for the benefit of all and will be better positioned to offer Canadian industries supply chain security as the global economy rebounds from the effects of the pandemic,” he said.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

O'Toole blasts Chinese death sentence for Canadian

O'Toole blasts Chinese death sentence for Canadian
O'Toole also reopened the door to a Canadian boycott of next year's Winter Olympics in China, warning the Chinese government's recent actions show Canadians are not safe in the country.

O'Toole blasts Chinese death sentence for Canadian

Crown to argue against stay in Meng extradition

Crown to argue against stay in Meng extradition
Today's arguments are expected to be the last before the actual extradition hearing in Meng's case begins in the B.C. Supreme Court later this week.

Crown to argue against stay in Meng extradition

1079 COVID19 cases over 3 days

1079 COVID19 cases over 3 days
There were 422 new cases from Friday to Saturday, marking the third day in a row that case counts topped 400. From Saturday to Sunday, there were 364 cases, while 293 cases were reported from Sunday to Monday.

1079 COVID19 cases over 3 days

Children 12 and under will soon ride free on B.C. public transit

Children 12 and under will soon ride free on B.C. public transit
Starting Sept. 1, 2021, children 12 and under will be able to “Get on Board” any BC Transit or TransLink service for free as part of the provincial government’s commitment to efficient, reliable and affordable transit for families.    

Children 12 and under will soon ride free on B.C. public transit

Liberals urged not to reinstate military commander

Liberals urged not to reinstate military commander
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan have not commented since the Canadian Forces National Investigation Service announced late Friday that they had decided there was not enough evidence to charge McDonald.

Liberals urged not to reinstate military commander

Meng's lawyers argue for stay in proceedings

Meng's lawyers argue for stay in proceedings
Defence lawyer Tony Paisana urged the B.C. Supreme Court judge in the case to consider the four alleged abuses of process as "branches of the same tree" and assess their cumulative impact. 

Meng's lawyers argue for stay in proceedings