Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Port of Prince Rupert optimistic about 2022

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Jan, 2022 03:06 PM
  • Port of Prince Rupert optimistic about 2022

PRINCE RUPERT, B.C. - Port officials in Prince Rupert, B.C., say 2021 was a difficult year as cargo volumes fell, but they are optimistic about a strong recovery.

The Prince Rupert Port Authority released its annual cargo volumes report Tuesday showing 25 million tonnes moved through the facility last year, a 23 per cent decrease in year-over-year total volume.

Pandemic- and weather-related supply chain disruptions, loss of a core coal customer, decreased shipments due to a poor crop year and a competitive West Coast market are all listed as reasons for the shortfall.

The statement from Shaun Stevenson, president and CEO of the port authority, says despite the upheavals, the port worked to streamline and accelerate the movement of containers while new expedited rail services to Toronto and Chicago will move cargo "at a record pace."

Stevenson says an inaugural shipment of liquefied petroleum gas also left the Watson Island terminal in April as several LPG facilities at the port were either commissioned or opened last year.

Other infrastructure projects in 2021 included the expansion of the Fairview Container Terminal and the addition of an eighth loading crane capable of servicing the largest vessels currently afloat.

The port's employers, industries and labour organizations also launched the Port of Prince Rupert Gateway Council, releasing an economic impact study showing Gateway operations in 2020 handled roughly $60 billion in trade and supported an estimated 3,700 direct jobs in northern B.C.

Effects of the pandemic, forest fires, floods and supply chain uncertainties all underscored the need for more investment and diversification in the Prince Rupert Gateway to offset future disruptions, Stevenson says in the release.

“By expanding, we hope to continue be a key economic driver in northern B.C. for the benefit of all and will be better positioned to offer Canadian industries supply chain security as the global economy rebounds from the effects of the pandemic,” he said.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Border workers issue Friday strike notice to Feds

Border workers issue Friday strike notice to Feds
The Public Service Alliance of Canada and its Customs and Immigration Union, which represent the workers, said that it served a strike notice to the government on Tuesday and is now readying its workers to up the ante.

Border workers issue Friday strike notice to Feds

Canada, U.S. each have hands full with wildfires

Canada, U.S. each have hands full with wildfires
Both will continue to be able to access other international resources if necessary, the memo notes — indeed, about 100 firefighters from Mexico recently arrived in B.C., joining a number of Canadian Armed Forces personnel — but the situation points to a challenge that's only going to get worse.

Canada, U.S. each have hands full with wildfires

Anti racism rally at Surrey's Aspen Park, Surrey RCMP say charges may be considered.

Anti racism rally at Surrey's Aspen Park, Surrey RCMP say charges may be considered.
The rally was attended by many and kids held placards with words such as End Racism.The Surrey RCMP  the investigating is ongoing, and that charges may be considered.

Anti racism rally at Surrey's Aspen Park, Surrey RCMP say charges may be considered.

RBC presents the 11th Annual DARPAN Extraordinary Achievement Awards

RBC presents the 11th Annual DARPAN Extraordinary Achievement Awards
“We are excited that RBC is joining us this year in celebrating the achievements of the South Asian community, and helping us put the event together,” say DARPAN Magazine’s publisher Ramneek Dhillon.  

RBC presents the 11th Annual DARPAN Extraordinary Achievement Awards

More Canadians say worst of COVID-19 yet to come

More Canadians say worst of COVID-19 yet to come
Fifty-four per cent of respondents to an online survey by Leger and the Association for Canadian Studies say the worst of the COVID-19 crisis is already over, compared with 63 per cent who believed so in a survey last month.

More Canadians say worst of COVID-19 yet to come

Results of pandemic election won't be immediate

Results of pandemic election won't be immediate
They're part of a process Elections Canada has devised to ensure an election can be conducted safely and produce trustworthy results while the country remains in the grip of COVID-19.

Results of pandemic election won't be immediate