Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Port of Prince Rupert optimistic about 2022

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Jan, 2022 03:06 PM
  • Port of Prince Rupert optimistic about 2022

PRINCE RUPERT, B.C. - Port officials in Prince Rupert, B.C., say 2021 was a difficult year as cargo volumes fell, but they are optimistic about a strong recovery.

The Prince Rupert Port Authority released its annual cargo volumes report Tuesday showing 25 million tonnes moved through the facility last year, a 23 per cent decrease in year-over-year total volume.

Pandemic- and weather-related supply chain disruptions, loss of a core coal customer, decreased shipments due to a poor crop year and a competitive West Coast market are all listed as reasons for the shortfall.

The statement from Shaun Stevenson, president and CEO of the port authority, says despite the upheavals, the port worked to streamline and accelerate the movement of containers while new expedited rail services to Toronto and Chicago will move cargo "at a record pace."

Stevenson says an inaugural shipment of liquefied petroleum gas also left the Watson Island terminal in April as several LPG facilities at the port were either commissioned or opened last year.

Other infrastructure projects in 2021 included the expansion of the Fairview Container Terminal and the addition of an eighth loading crane capable of servicing the largest vessels currently afloat.

The port's employers, industries and labour organizations also launched the Port of Prince Rupert Gateway Council, releasing an economic impact study showing Gateway operations in 2020 handled roughly $60 billion in trade and supported an estimated 3,700 direct jobs in northern B.C.

Effects of the pandemic, forest fires, floods and supply chain uncertainties all underscored the need for more investment and diversification in the Prince Rupert Gateway to offset future disruptions, Stevenson says in the release.

“By expanding, we hope to continue be a key economic driver in northern B.C. for the benefit of all and will be better positioned to offer Canadian industries supply chain security as the global economy rebounds from the effects of the pandemic,” he said.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Cruise ships back in Canadian waters on Nov. 1

Cruise ships back in Canadian waters on Nov. 1
The federal government says cruise ships will be allowed back in Canadian waters in November, but they must follow public health requirements. Transport Minister Omar Alghabra says the prohibition on cruise ships because of COVID-19 will be lifted Nov. 1.

Cruise ships back in Canadian waters on Nov. 1

Investigation into alleged racist comments hurled at a Sikh security guard in Kelowna taking place

Investigation into alleged racist comments hurled at a Sikh security guard in Kelowna taking place
Since then, a video has emerged of a protestor yelling what appear to be racially motivated comments and accusations at a staff member who asked him to leave the property.

Investigation into alleged racist comments hurled at a Sikh security guard in Kelowna taking place

Former defence chief Jonathan Vance charged

Former defence chief Jonathan Vance charged
Retired general Jonathan Vance, former chief of the defence staff, has been charged with obstruction of justice related to an investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct.

Former defence chief Jonathan Vance charged

Coyotes euthanized after Stanley Park attack

Coyotes euthanized after Stanley Park attack
The statement says one of the animals was found close to the site where the child was bitten on the head and neck at around dusk on Monday.

Coyotes euthanized after Stanley Park attack

More ground to search in Kamloops, expert says

More ground to search in Kamloops, expert says
Prof. Sarah Beaulieu of the University of the Fraser Valley says the search has covered less than a hectare and there is another 65 hectares to search. Beaulieu says the investigation also has evidence from those who were as young as six at the time being woken in the night to dig graves.

More ground to search in Kamloops, expert says

WHO chief says it was 'premature' to rule out COVID lab leak

WHO chief says it was 'premature' to rule out COVID lab leak
In a rare departure from his usual deference to powerful member countries, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said getting access to raw data had been a challenge for the international team that traveled to China earlier this year to investigate the source of COVID-19. The first human cases were identified in the Chinese city of Wuhan.

WHO chief says it was 'premature' to rule out COVID lab leak