Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Premiers call for improved relationship with China during trade war with the U.S.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Jul, 2025 10:49 AM
  • Premiers call for improved relationship with China during trade war with the U.S.

Canada's premiers have called on the federal government to improve the country's relationship with China in the face of the ongoing trade war with the U.S.

With tariffs and constant economic threats from U.S. President Donald Trump, Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe and Ontario Premier Doug Ford say the country will need to deal more with China.

The premiers have gathered in Huntsville, Ont., for the third and final day of the Council of the Federation meeting.

"If we're truly going to move and expand our reliance away from the United States in any way, shape, or form — and I would suggest the only way to do it is on additional products produced, not existing — we're going to have to deal with China, and so we're going to need a broader relationship with them," Moe said.

Both Moe and Ford are worried about steelworkers in their respective provinces, with three major steel plants feeling the brunt of U.S. tariffs on steel, combined with China dumping steel into the market through proxy countries. 

"You know what Churchill said, our enemy of our enemy is our friend, and I don't consider Americans the enemy, but right now President Trump himself is acting like the enemy," Ford said.

He said Ontario imports about $40 billion worth of Chinese goods and exports about $3 billion.

"As long as China plays fair and doesn't undercut our markets, be it the auto sector or any sector," he said. 

"I have no problem dealing with them because we're already dealing with them."

Ford said he still supports the 100 per cent tariffs Canada imposed on Chinese-made electric vehicles last October, matching what the Biden administration had already done in the U.S., as well as 25 per cent tariffs on Chinese steel and aluminum.

Later in the fall, Canada imposed tariffs on a range of other Chinese goods, including EV batteries and parts, critical minerals, solar panels and semiconductors.

In response, China imposed 100 per cent tariffs on imports of Canadian canola oil and meal. It also has a 25 per cent levy on some pork, fish and seafood products from Canada.

Last week, Prime Minister Mark Carney announced a second round of protectionist and anti-dumping measures in response to the U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum, targeting Chinese-made steel. Canada will raise the tariffs on Chinese steel and aluminum imports to 50 per cent and is adding a 25 per cent tariff on steel melted and poured in China, no matter where it comes from.

The premiers said in a statement they'd like the federal government to prioritize work toward the removal of Chinese tariffs on Canadian canola, peas, pork and seafood. 

They are also asking the federal government for changes to the bail system and more money for health care.

The premiers met with Carney on Tuesday to discuss the trade war with the U.S. after meeting with First Nation leaders the previous day.

The prime minister and the premiers presented a united front in the face of U.S. tariffs, but revealed little about the negotiations with an Aug. 1 deadline fast approaching.

The prime minister and the premiers all downplayed the importance of getting a deal done soon to avoid further U.S. tariffs, saying they want the best deal possible regardless of timing.

A number of provinces also signed several free-trade deals to open up internal trade, while others committed to building pipelines to get oil and gas to new markets.

The premiers are holding a closing press conference this afternoon. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette

MORE National ARTICLES

Why it took nearly a year to link multiple Listeria cases to some plant-based milks

Why it took nearly a year to link multiple Listeria cases to some plant-based milks
The Public Health Agency of Canada says it was only after multiple Listeria cases emerged in Ontario in June that it recognized a broader outbreak that had started back in August 2023. Questions have swirled around why it took nearly a year for the Canadian Food Inspection Agency to announce a national recall of several Silk and Great Value plant-based milk products on July 8.

Why it took nearly a year to link multiple Listeria cases to some plant-based milks

Statistics Canada reports wholesale sales down 0.6% in June

Statistics Canada reports wholesale sales down 0.6% in June
Statistics Canada says wholesale sales, excluding petroleum, petroleum products, and other hydrocarbons and excluding oilseed and grain, fell 0.6 per cent to $82.4 billion in June.  The agency says sales fell in five of the seven subsectors.

Statistics Canada reports wholesale sales down 0.6% in June

Ex Conservative MP, cabinet minister Chuck Strahl dies

Ex Conservative MP, cabinet minister Chuck Strahl dies
Former Conservative MP and cabinet minister Chuck Strahl has died at the age of 67. Strahl was first elected in 1993 and represented the B.C. riding of Chilliwack–Fraser Canyon until his retirement in 2011.

Ex Conservative MP, cabinet minister Chuck Strahl dies

Former B.C. Liberal leadership candidate runs for Rustad's Conservatives in Kelowna

Former B.C. Liberal leadership candidate runs for Rustad's Conservatives in Kelowna
A former leadership rival to BC United Leader Kevin Falcon is joining John Rustad's British Columbia Conservatives to run in Kelowna in the fall election. Gavin Dew was a candidate in the B.C. Liberal leadership race in 2022 that Falcon won, but he is now running in the Kelowna-Mission riding under the B.C. Conservatives banner.

Former B.C. Liberal leadership candidate runs for Rustad's Conservatives in Kelowna

Both vessels made mistakes in Vancouver harbour before capsize, TSB report says

Both vessels made mistakes in Vancouver harbour before capsize, TSB report says
The Transportation Safety Board says mistakes by both the operators of a cargo ship and a pleasure craft resulted in the smaller boat being overturned in Vancouver’s harbour.  A report from the board released Wednesday says the pleasure craft had been rented from Granville Island Boat Rentals on Oct. 15, 2022, for a tour when three people and their two dogs were thrown into the water by the larger ship's bow wave. 

Both vessels made mistakes in Vancouver harbour before capsize, TSB report says

B.C. adds $2.65B for Fraser Valley Highway 1 improvement initiative

B.C. adds $2.65B for Fraser Valley Highway 1 improvement initiative
The British Columbia government is providing $2.65 billion for upgrades to Highway 1 through the Fraser Valley in an effort to relieve traffic congestion and ease daily commutes between the communities of Langley and Abbotsford. The funding will go toward upgrades between Mount Lehman Road west of downtown Abbotsford to Highway 11 on the opposite side of the city.

B.C. adds $2.65B for Fraser Valley Highway 1 improvement initiative