Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Premiers urge Trudeau to extend deadline for charitable donations after postal strike

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 11:51 AM
  • Premiers urge Trudeau to extend deadline for charitable donations after postal strike

Canada's premiers are calling on the federal government to extend the deadline for claiming charitable donations on tax returns through to the end of February.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford made the request in a letter to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Tuesday, sent in his capacity as chair of the Council of the Federation.

Ford says the premiers are echoing calls from charities to help account for a decline in mail-in donations due to the Canada Post strike, which brought letter mail to a standstill for a month starting in mid-November.

The premiers are requesting that the federal government extend the deadline from the end of the year to the end of February 2025, which would allow donors to send their cheques later than usual but still get credited for the 2024 tax year.

The Salvation Army reported over the weekend that holiday donations had fallen by 50 per cent this year, which it attributes to the strike.

Trudeau's office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

MORE National ARTICLES

Lightning-caused wildfires expected to persist in B.C.: Wildfire Service

Lightning-caused wildfires expected to persist in B.C.: Wildfire Service
The BC Wildfire Service says hot and dry weather paired with 29 consecutive days of lightning has led to the more than 400 active wildfires burning across the province. Though seasonable temperatures are forecast to return this week, the service says new lightning-caused fires are expected to persist.

Lightning-caused wildfires expected to persist in B.C.: Wildfire Service

BC United promises huge provincial income tax cut, raising exemption to $50,000

BC United promises huge provincial income tax cut, raising exemption to $50,000
The leader of British Columbia's Opposition says he would introduce the largest provincial income tax cut in provincial history if his party is elected to form government this fall. Kevin Falcon says BC United would eliminate the tax on the first $50,000 earned by every person in B.C., allowing taxpayers to keep an additional $2,050 on average.

BC United promises huge provincial income tax cut, raising exemption to $50,000

Parliamentary committee to probe how Toronto terror suspect was admitted to Canada

Parliamentary committee to probe how Toronto terror suspect was admitted to Canada
A House of Commons committee will investigate how a man who is now facing terror charges was admitted to Canada and obtained citizenship. Members of Parliament on the public safety and national security committee voted unanimously on Tuesday to launch a study on the terror suspects arrested in the Toronto area last month. 

Parliamentary committee to probe how Toronto terror suspect was admitted to Canada

Canada's foreign worker program 'breeding ground' for modern slavery: report

Canada's foreign worker program 'breeding ground' for modern slavery: report
A recently released international report says Canada's temporary foreign worker program is a "breeding ground" for contemporary slavery. The final report by a United Nations special rapporteur who visited Canada last year says a power imbalance prevents workers from exercising their rights.

Canada's foreign worker program 'breeding ground' for modern slavery: report

Surrey Mayor to review penalties for fire ban violations

Surrey Mayor to review penalties for fire ban violations
Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke has directed staff to conduct a review of financial penalties for violating fire bans in an effort to potentially increase the fines. It comes after the city says its fire department has responded to more than 400 brush and grass fires since May 1st, most of which were caused by human activity.

Surrey Mayor to review penalties for fire ban violations

19 year old charged in extortion crimes

19 year old charged in extortion crimes
Police in Metro Vancouver say a 19-year-old man has been charged with almost two dozen offences related to the alleged online sexual extortion of teenagers. Burnaby R-C-M-P say the investigation began after victims in Nova Scotia, Quebec and Ontario reported to local police that they were being extorted for money after sharing explicit images with someone they met on social media platforms.

19 year old charged in extortion crimes