Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Pressure Grows To Expel Calgary University Student Guilty Of Sexual Interference

The Canadian Press, 11 Jan, 2018 12:38 PM
  • Pressure Grows To Expel Calgary University Student Guilty Of Sexual Interference
CALGARY — The mother of a University of Calgary student convicted of sexual interference says the school has asked him to stay away from campus as an online petition demanding that he be expelled grows.
 
Connor Neurauter, 21, pleaded guilty to one count of sexual interference in a Kamloops, B.C., court in November. Another charge of possession of child pornography was later dropped.
 
Earlier this month, Neurauter was sentenced to 90 days in jail and two years probation. The B.C. prosecution service says the judge permitted him to delay serving all but one day of his sentence until May 4.
 
In interviews with Postmedia and CBC News, the victim's mother said Neurauter was given special treatment by the courts throughout the trial and that it's unfair he has the opportunity finish his semester before going to jail.
 
The mother cannot be identified because of a publication ban meant to protect the victim, who was 13 at the time of the offence.
 
By Thursday morning, more than 40,000 people had signed the petition urging the university to expel Neurauter.
 
"While the courts have seemingly failed the victim, the University of Calgary now has the opportunity to help change the narrative of this story," the petition says.
 
The university said in a statement that it is reviewing the situation and that Neurauter is not on campus this week.
 
His mother, Susan Neurauter, said the university has asked him to stay off campus.
 
"They're saying they're concerned for him having a successful educational experience and that they won't be able to keep him safe," she said.
 
She added that her son has been threatened online and she's heard students are demanding class lists to find out where he's going to be on campus.  
 
She said there's nothing unusual about a court allowing an intermittent sentence and her son was not given any special treatment.
 
"They offered him an opportunity to better himself and I don't understand what the problem is with that."
 
By taking a plea bargain, Neurauter gave up his opportunity to tell his side of the story in court, his mother said. His choice was meant to minimize the impact on the victim, she said.
 
"Of course he has regrets and remorse, but he was making an effort to not only acknowledge that, but put this behind him."

MORE National ARTICLES

Suspected Targeted Shooting In Surrey, B.C., Leaves One Man Dead, Woman Injured

Suspected Targeted Shooting In Surrey, B.C., Leaves One Man Dead, Woman Injured
members of the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team have joined the investigation into the shooting, which occurred at around 2 a.m. Monday.

Suspected Targeted Shooting In Surrey, B.C., Leaves One Man Dead, Woman Injured

Governments Shouldn't Tell Women What To Wear And What Not To Wear: Justin Trudeau

Governments Shouldn't Tell Women What To Wear And What Not To Wear: Justin Trudeau
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is again wading into the debate on Quebec's Bill 62, saying it is not a government's business to tell a woman what to wear and what not to wear.

Governments Shouldn't Tell Women What To Wear And What Not To Wear: Justin Trudeau

Mother Of Missing Woman Says Police Said Daughter Was Probably Drinking

Mother Of Missing Woman Says Police Said Daughter Was Probably Drinking
 The Mother Of An Indigenous Woman Who Disappeared In 2008 Says The RCMP Have Failed Her.

Mother Of Missing Woman Says Police Said Daughter Was Probably Drinking

Manitoba Woman Allegedly Stole $800 From Blind Woman She Met On Bus To Toronto

Manitoba Woman Allegedly Stole $800 From Blind Woman She Met On Bus To Toronto
TORONTO — Police say they've arrested a Manitoba woman who allegedly robbed a blind woman she met on a bus trip to Toronto.

Manitoba Woman Allegedly Stole $800 From Blind Woman She Met On Bus To Toronto

Police Officer Hit By Car And Stabbed During Edmonton Attack Is Back On Job

Police Officer Hit By Car And Stabbed During Edmonton Attack Is Back On Job
EDMONTON — The Edmonton police officer who was run down and then stabbed during an attack that also injured four other people on Sept. 30 is back on the job.

Police Officer Hit By Car And Stabbed During Edmonton Attack Is Back On Job

'I'm Just So Furious': Mother And Son Both Fall Victim To Equifax Canada Hack

'I'm Just So Furious': Mother And Son Both Fall Victim To Equifax Canada Hack
TORONTO — Robin Harvey thought she was being financially prudent when she urged her son to sign up to monitor their credit files at Equifax Canada in 2013.

'I'm Just So Furious': Mother And Son Both Fall Victim To Equifax Canada Hack