Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Pressure Grows To Expel Calgary University Student Guilty Of Sexual Interference

The Canadian Press, 11 Jan, 2018 12:38 PM
  • Pressure Grows To Expel Calgary University Student Guilty Of Sexual Interference
CALGARY — The mother of a University of Calgary student convicted of sexual interference says the school has asked him to stay away from campus as an online petition demanding that he be expelled grows.
 
Connor Neurauter, 21, pleaded guilty to one count of sexual interference in a Kamloops, B.C., court in November. Another charge of possession of child pornography was later dropped.
 
Earlier this month, Neurauter was sentenced to 90 days in jail and two years probation. The B.C. prosecution service says the judge permitted him to delay serving all but one day of his sentence until May 4.
 
In interviews with Postmedia and CBC News, the victim's mother said Neurauter was given special treatment by the courts throughout the trial and that it's unfair he has the opportunity finish his semester before going to jail.
 
The mother cannot be identified because of a publication ban meant to protect the victim, who was 13 at the time of the offence.
 
By Thursday morning, more than 40,000 people had signed the petition urging the university to expel Neurauter.
 
"While the courts have seemingly failed the victim, the University of Calgary now has the opportunity to help change the narrative of this story," the petition says.
 
The university said in a statement that it is reviewing the situation and that Neurauter is not on campus this week.
 
His mother, Susan Neurauter, said the university has asked him to stay off campus.
 
"They're saying they're concerned for him having a successful educational experience and that they won't be able to keep him safe," she said.
 
She added that her son has been threatened online and she's heard students are demanding class lists to find out where he's going to be on campus.  
 
She said there's nothing unusual about a court allowing an intermittent sentence and her son was not given any special treatment.
 
"They offered him an opportunity to better himself and I don't understand what the problem is with that."
 
By taking a plea bargain, Neurauter gave up his opportunity to tell his side of the story in court, his mother said. His choice was meant to minimize the impact on the victim, she said.
 
"Of course he has regrets and remorse, but he was making an effort to not only acknowledge that, but put this behind him."

MORE National ARTICLES

Police Escort Anti-Pipeline Protesters Away From Trudeau Media Event

Police Escort Anti-Pipeline Protesters Away From Trudeau Media Event
Hayley Zacks and 24-year-old Jake Hubley stood with signs protesting the pipeline before telling Prime Minister Justin Trudeau he can't fulfil his climate action promises if projects like Trans Mountain are approved.

Police Escort Anti-Pipeline Protesters Away From Trudeau Media Event

Organizers Announce Hiatus For 2018 Tall Tree Music Festival

Organizers Announce Hiatus For 2018 Tall Tree Music Festival
Tall Tree Music Festival co-founder and director Mike Hann blames the low Canadian dollar and an oversaturated concert market for the hiatus.

Organizers Announce Hiatus For 2018 Tall Tree Music Festival

Woman To Make Court Appearance After Stabbing At Motel In Nanaimo, B.C.

NANAIMO, B.C. — A 44-year-old woman who allegedly stabbed a man at a motel has been arrested in Nanaimo, B.C.

Woman To Make Court Appearance After Stabbing At Motel In Nanaimo, B.C.

S&P Bond Rating Agency Hands B.C. Highest Mark, Confirming Healthy Economy

S&P Bond Rating Agency Hands B.C. Highest Mark, Confirming Healthy Economy
VICTORIA — British Columbia's finance minister is pointing to what she says is another confirmation of the province's healthy economy.

S&P Bond Rating Agency Hands B.C. Highest Mark, Confirming Healthy Economy

Homeowner Arrives Home, Finds Man Drunk And Asleep On Bathroom Floor

Homeowner Arrives Home, Finds Man Drunk And Asleep On Bathroom Floor
SIMCOE, Ont. — Police are reminding people to be vigilant about locking their doors after a homeowner in Simcoe, Ont., came home to discover a drunken stranger.

Homeowner Arrives Home, Finds Man Drunk And Asleep On Bathroom Floor

Toronto Drug Squad Officer Dies Of Fentanyl Overdose, Police Say

Toronto Drug Squad Officer Dies Of Fentanyl Overdose, Police Say
Toronto police say an officer in the force's drug squad died of a fentanyl overdose earlier this year, with the amount of the opioid found in his system being too large to have been caused by mere contact with the drug.

Toronto Drug Squad Officer Dies Of Fentanyl Overdose, Police Say