Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Pressure rises on federal government to intervene in Canada Post strike

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Dec, 2024 10:53 AM
  • Pressure rises on federal government to intervene in Canada Post strike

The business community is ramping up pressure on the federal government to intervene in the ongoing Canada Post strike, which is on its 20th day. 

The Retail Council of Canada said Tuesday that the strike by more than 55,000 workers countrywide is putting businesses and their employees in jeopardy. 

The federal government has so far resisted calls for it to intervene, even though it intervened in other labour disputes earlier this year.

Federal mediation was put on pause last week as the two sides appeared too far apart to reach an agreement, and the federal labour minister Wednesday urged them to get back to negotiating.

Canada Post said it presented a new framework for reaching agreements over the weekend to the Canadian Union of Postal Workers, which said it needs to see key issues like wages and the expansion of postal services addressed before it can make a deal. 

One of the key issues in bargaining has been the push to expand Canada Post delivery to the weekend, as the two sides disagree over how best to make it happen.

MORE National ARTICLES

London Drugs closure continues due to cybersecurity incident

London Drugs closure continues due to cybersecurity incident
London Drugs is investigating whether personal data was breached in a cybersecurity incident that has prompted the company to close its stores across Western Canada until further notice. A statement from the Richmond-based retailer and pharmacy chain says it will notify "affected individuals" if the probe finds their data was breached.

London Drugs closure continues due to cybersecurity incident

Early morning shooting in Langley

Early morning shooting in Langley
Police are investigating after a man with a gunshot wound was found on the side of the road in Langley, east of Vancouver, early this morning. R-C-M-P say the victim was conscious and breathing when first responders arrived and transported him to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.  

Early morning shooting in Langley

Lawyer says RCMP bullying claims in Surrey policing case could cause 'undue' concern

Lawyer says RCMP bullying claims in Surrey policing case could cause 'undue' concern
A B.C. government lawyer says court documents in a policing dispute with the City of Surrey contain significant allegations of harassment and bullying by the RCMP that should be kept from public view because they could cause "undue public concern." Trevor Bant was speaking at the start of a hearing on Surrey's petition challenging a direction by Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth that the city transition from the RCMP to the municipal Surrey Police Service.

Lawyer says RCMP bullying claims in Surrey policing case could cause 'undue' concern

White Rock stabbing suspect arrested

White Rock stabbing suspect arrested
A statement from the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says 27-year-old Dimitri Nelson Hyacinth has been charged over the alleged assault of a 28-year man, Jatinder Singh, along the White Rock pier and promenade on April 21st. Two days later, 26-year-old Kulwinder Singh Sohi was fatally stabbed in the same area, though R-C-M-P did not provide an update on any further charges.

White Rock stabbing suspect arrested

B.C. Conservatives' 'biological sex' sports bill is quickly quashed in legislature

B.C. Conservatives' 'biological sex' sports bill is quickly quashed in legislature
A proposal by British Columbia Conservative Leader John Rustad to use "biological sex" to classify participants in publicly funded sports teams and events, effectively banning transgender athletes, didn't get to first base.

B.C. Conservatives' 'biological sex' sports bill is quickly quashed in legislature

Alberta sexual assault centres to be consulted on spending additional $10 million

Alberta sexual assault centres to be consulted on spending additional $10 million
The Alberta government will consult with the province's sexual assault centres to determine how to spend an additional $10 million over the next three years.

Alberta sexual assault centres to be consulted on spending additional $10 million