Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Quicksketch: A look at Canada's next governor general, Louise Arbour

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 May, 2026 04:40 PM
  • Quicksketch: A look at Canada's next governor general, Louise Arbour

Louise Arbour has been named as Canada's next governor general to replace Mary Simon, who was appointed to the role in 2021 on the advice of former prime minister Justin Trudeau. She is expected to formally assume the role in a ceremony in early June.

Here's a look at the country's newest head of state.

Age: 79

Hometown: Montreal

Previous career: Arbour was called to the bar in Quebec in 1971 and in Ontario in 1977, launching a career that saw her rise to the highest ranks of the national and international legal systems.

Arbour first taught at York University's Osgoode Hall law school. She was appointed to the Ontario Superior Court of Justice in 1987 and to the province's Court of Appeal in 1990. 

She led a commission of inquiry into events at the Kingston Prison for Women in 1995. Between 1996 and 1999, Arbour was chief prosecutor for the International Criminal Tribunals for the former Yugoslavia and for Rwanda in The Hague. 

Upon her return to Canada following the tribunals, she was appointed by former prime minister Jean Chrétien to the Supreme Court of Canada, where she served until 2004. Arbour was then the UN High Commissioner of Human Rights for four years, ending in 2008. 

More recently, she served at the request of former prime minister Justin Trudeau's government to lead an independent review into sexual harassment and misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces. Her report was released in 2022, called for sweeping reforms to the military's culture and institutions. 

As viceregal, Arbour will assume the role of commander-in-chief of Canada's military.

Quote: "I will accede to a function in which I will be the representative of the Crown in a constitutional arrangement that I think has served Canada extremely well throughout our history, but even more in recent decades. I think, a system that will continue to provide continuity in our institutions and our form of governance."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

MORE National ARTICLES

Trump says he hasn't 'had a lot of luck' with Canada ahead of latest tariff deadline

Trump says he hasn't 'had a lot of luck' with Canada ahead of latest tariff deadline
"I think Canada could be one where they just pay tariffs – not really a negotiation," Trump told reporters before departing on Marine One from the South Lawn of the White House.

Trump says he hasn't 'had a lot of luck' with Canada ahead of latest tariff deadline

'Goosebumps' and euphoria after workers trapped in B.C. mine were freed

'Goosebumps' and euphoria after workers trapped in B.C. mine were freed
It was "quite a euphoric evening last night,” Hy-Tech Drilling's Dwayne Ross said of the moment when the men were freed from the remote Red Chris mine, around 10:40 p.m. Thursday.

'Goosebumps' and euphoria after workers trapped in B.C. mine were freed

Number of federal public service jobs could drop by almost 60,000, report predicts

Number of federal public service jobs could drop by almost 60,000, report predicts
Earlier this month, Finance Minister François-Philippe Champagne sent letters to multiple ministers asking them to cut program spending at their departments by 7.5 per cent next spring, 10 per cent the year after and 15 per cent in 2028-29.

Number of federal public service jobs could drop by almost 60,000, report predicts

Three dead after 'Neighbourhood dispute' in Maple Ridge, B.C., police say

Three dead after 'Neighbourhood dispute' in Maple Ridge, B.C., police say
Police cordoned off the area of the violent scene that saw two vehicles set ablaze and a police Emergency Response Team descend upon a home where a suspect was found dead. 

Three dead after 'Neighbourhood dispute' in Maple Ridge, B.C., police say

Three miners trapped underground in B.C. are behind 30 metres of debris: company

Three miners trapped underground in B.C. are behind 30 metres of debris: company
Newmont Corp. says in the statement issued Thursday that specialized drones have been sent in to assess the geotechnical conditions underground. 

Three miners trapped underground in B.C. are behind 30 metres of debris: company

Dillon Dube acquitted of sexual assault

Dillon Dube acquitted of sexual assault
Three of his ex-teammates — Carter Hart, Alex Formenton and Callan Foote — have also been found not guilty of sexual assault in the case. 

Dillon Dube acquitted of sexual assault