Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

RCMP To Release Report Today On B.C. Homicides That Sparked Massive Manhunt

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Sep, 2019 08:26 PM

    SURREY, B.C. - The investigative findings from the homicides of three people in British Columbia are being released today by the RCMP, more than seven weeks after the bodies of two teenage suspects were found in the wilderness of northern Manitoba.

     

    Bryer Schmegelsky, who was 18, and 19-year-old Kam McLeod were the subject of a two-week manhunt that spanned Western Canada.

     

    Before their deaths, the teens were charged with the murder of Leonard Dyck, a University of British Columbia botany lecturer, and were also suspects in the deaths of American Chynna Deese and her Australian boyfriend Lucas Fowler.

     

    Police have said Schmegelsky and McLeod died from self-inflicted gun wounds and they were dead for a number of days before their bodies were found on Aug. 7.

     

    Police said two firearms were found with the dead men.

     

    The manhunt began July 23 when police announced Schmegelsky and McLeod were suspects in the deaths.

     

    The young men had initially been considered missing persons when a truck and camper they were driving was found burned a few kilometres from where Dyck's body was discovered at a highway pullout on July 19.

     

    The bodies of Deese and Fowler were found on July 15 near the Alaska Highway, 470 kilometres from where Dyck's body was discovered.

     

    The manhunt for McLeod and Schmegelsky led to Gillam, Man., where Dyck's Toyota Rav 4 was found burned. Officers converged on the area to begin a search.

     

    Police used drones, dogs and even had help from the Canadian Armed Forces to scour the remote area.

     

    The search was scaled back July 31 and a few days later a damaged rowboat was found in the Nelson River. A search of the river turned up little of interest, police said.

     

    On Aug. 6, police said some items linked to Schmegelsky and McLeod were found on the river's shore. The bodies were discovered the next day, about a kilometre from where police said they found the items.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Montreal Unveils Plan To Respond To Heatwaves After 66 Deaths Last Year

    Montreal's mayor is unveiling the city's plan to respond to heatwaves after dozens of people died amid high temperatures last summer.

    Montreal Unveils Plan To Respond To Heatwaves After 66 Deaths Last Year

    Firefighter Rappels Down P.E.I. Embankment To Rescue Frightened Dog From Ledge

    Firefighter Rappels Down P.E.I. Embankment To Rescue Frightened Dog From Ledge
    CORNWALL, P.E.I. — P.E.I. firefighters ably handled an unlikely rescue mission on Tuesday: A frightened dog that had fallen onto a rocky outcropping.

    Firefighter Rappels Down P.E.I. Embankment To Rescue Frightened Dog From Ledge

    Newfoundland Travellers Contract Mysterious Disease Traced To Cave Trip In Cuba

    Terri Murphy of Paradise, N.L., travelled to Cuba with her husband on April 27, but her fever-like symptoms didn't appear until May 21, weeks after she returned home.    

    Newfoundland Travellers Contract Mysterious Disease Traced To Cave Trip In Cuba

    Coroner Probes Death Of Quebec Senior Who Spent 36 Hours On Balcony

    MONTREAL — The family of a 93-year-old Quebec woman who died after spending three days inert on her balcony at a seniors' residence wants better surveillance for the elderly.    

    Coroner Probes Death Of Quebec Senior Who Spent 36 Hours On Balcony

    Nutrien Says 34 Workers Trapped Underground After Service Shaft Malfunction

    Nutrien Says 34 Workers Trapped Underground After Service Shaft Malfunction
    SASKATOON — Nutrien Ltd. says 34 maintenance workers have been trapped in its Cory potash mine in Saskatchewan since Tuesday afternoon.    

    Nutrien Says 34 Workers Trapped Underground After Service Shaft Malfunction

    B.C. Father Of Two-Month-Old Girl Acquitted Of Manslaughter In Her Death

    PORT ALBERNI, B.C. — The father of a two-month-old girl accused of manslaughter in her death has been acquitted by a B.C. Supreme Court judge.

    B.C. Father Of Two-Month-Old Girl Acquitted Of Manslaughter In Her Death