Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

RCMP union recommends better staffing, procurement and collaboration on border

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Jan, 2025 03:57 PM
  • RCMP union recommends better staffing, procurement and collaboration on border

The union representing RCMP members is calling on Canada and the U.S. to make it easier to buy new technology, boost staffing and improve collaboration to deal with security challenges at the Canada-U.S. border.

In a news release published Tuesday, the National Police Federation says it met with Canadian and U.S. police and public safety unions to talk about illegal migration, drug and firearms smuggling and human trafficking.

The union says that the discussions helped it draft a set of recommendations for the Canadian and U.S. governments.

That includes streamlining the procurement process to buy new technologies and equipment so police can be more nimble in responding to changes in criminal trends.

The union is calling on both countries to either recruit more police or find "innovative ways" to ensure the mental-well being of public safety officers.

Canada unveiled a $1.3-billion, six-year border security plan in December after U.S. President Donald Trump said he would hit Canada and Mexico with 25 per cent across-the-board tariffs in response to what he called both countries' failure to curb the illegal flow of people and drugs across the border.

Last week, the RCMP deployed two new helicopters to surveil the Canada-U.S. border.

"By fostering stronger ties and adopting a truly collaborative approach, we can create a secure and resilient border that supports public safety and economic stability," said Brian Sauvé, president and CEO of the National Police Federation.

He said the Canada-U.S. border is "one of the most significant economic and security corridors in the world" and that the union's members do an "exceptional job" of protecting it with limited resources.

"By working together collaboratively across agencies and borders leveraging the expertise of those on the ground, we can better address these complex challenges," Sauvé said.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. hops farm, director fined over $1M after alleged fraud: securities commission

B.C. hops farm, director fined over $1M after alleged fraud: securities commission
A hops farm company and its director have been ordered to pay more than $1 million over an alleged fraud that a B.C. Securities Commission panel described as "near to the most serious type of fraud possible in an investment context." A statement from the commission says Fraser Valley Hop Farms Inc. and its sole named director, Alexander William Bridges, must pay a combined $498,273, representing the amount they obtained as a result of their alleged wrongdoing.  

B.C. hops farm, director fined over $1M after alleged fraud: securities commission

Ceremony planned to honour memory of those killed in 2017 Quebec City mosque attack

Ceremony planned to honour memory of those killed in 2017 Quebec City mosque attack
A ceremony commemorating victims of the deadly 2017 attack on a Quebec City mosque is scheduled to take place Monday evening. Six Muslim men were killed and five others were seriously injured when a gunman burst into the Quebec City Islamic Cultural Centre shortly after evening prayers on Jan. 29, 2017.

Ceremony planned to honour memory of those killed in 2017 Quebec City mosque attack

New Zealand mountaineer is fourth person to die in B.C. heli-ski crash

New Zealand mountaineer is fourth person to die in B.C. heli-ski crash
A New Zealand mountaineering expert injured in the heli-skiing crash north of Terrace, B.C., last week has died, bringing the death toll to four. The New Zealand Mountain Guides Association says In a Facebook post that its president, Lewis Ainsworth, had been on the Northern Escape Heli-Skiing helicopter as a guide.

New Zealand mountaineer is fourth person to die in B.C. heli-ski crash

One dead, three arrested after alleged hit-and-run in Surrey: RCMP

One dead, three arrested after alleged hit-and-run in Surrey: RCMP
RCMP in Metro Vancouver say one man is dead and three people have been arrested after an alleged hit-and-run early Saturday morning. A statement from Surrey RCMP says officers responded at 1:43 a.m. to a report of a pedestrian being struck along 105th Avenue, not far from City Hall.

One dead, three arrested after alleged hit-and-run in Surrey: RCMP

Vancouver's 1st homicide of 2024

Vancouver's 1st homicide of 2024
Police in Vancouver say they're investigating the city's first homicide of this year.  A statement from police says officers were called to a home near East 33rd Avenue and Knight Street just after 1 a.m. Sunday and found a man dead inside.  Police say they arrested a 39-year-old man at the scene.  

Vancouver's 1st homicide of 2024

Woman injured in back-to-back alleged hit-and-runs in Coquitlam, police say

Woman injured in back-to-back alleged hit-and-runs in Coquitlam, police say
Police in Coquitlam are asking for the public's help in identifying two separate drivers suspected of hitting the same pedestrian in alleged hit-and-run crashes. A statement from Coquitlam RCMP says the woman had been walking legally through a crosswalk at the intersection of Pinetree Way and Guildford Way, right across from City Hall, when the first vehicle struck her as it made a turn.

Woman injured in back-to-back alleged hit-and-runs in Coquitlam, police say