Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Recognize residential schools as genocide: NDP

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Jun, 2021 10:50 AM
  • Recognize residential schools as genocide: NDP

New Democrats are calling on the federal government to recognize what happened at residential schools as genocide.

In a motion to be tabled in the House of Commonson Thursday, NDP MP Leah Gazan is asking fellow lawmakers to unanimously acknowledge the institutions' history as the deliberate, systematic destruction of a cultural group.

“There is no reconciliation without truth. And what happened in residential school was clearly an act of genocide, with impacts that reverberate (in) our families’ community today," said Gazan, MP for Winnipeg Centre and a member of the Wood Mountain Lakota Nation in Saskatchewan.

"In honour of all the children who never returned home, in honour of all the mothers and fathers and families that were left to suffer in grief, we must end the debate."

Gazan's demand comes in response to last month's news that ground-penetrating radar detected what are believed to be the remains of 215 children at a former residential school in Kamloops, B.C.

The government-sponsored, church-run institutions operated in Canada for more than 120 years and the Truth and Reconciliation Commission ruled in 2015 they constituted a "cultural genocide."

Gazan questioned the sufficiency of the commission's determination, laid out in a report that followed seven years of hearings and testimony from thousands of witnesses.

“There is no legal definition in international law for cultural genocide. What happened at the residential schools was genocide, full stop," she said, citing the United Nations convention against genocide.

Genocide comprises any one of the criteria laid out in the 1948 convention's definition, and Gazan said Canada's residential schools policy meets all five: killing members of a group, causing them serious physical or mental harm, placing them under conditions to destroy them, imposing measures to prevent births or forcibly transferring children to another group.

At a news conference with Gazan on Wednesday morning, Grand Chief Arlen Dumas of the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs said denying an act of genocide would “belittle the history and the reality” of survivors of schools that continued to open into the 1970s.

"Residential school is not a historic thing that happened hundreds of years ago. It happened just yesterday," he said. "My younger siblings attended residential school."

Christian churches and the federal government launched the boarding schools in the 1880s and kept them going for more than a century, seeking to convert and assimilate Indigenous children, who suffered widespread physical and sexual abuse at the institutions. Thousands died in them.

The last one closed in Punnichy, Sask., in 1996.

A third-generation survivor, Dumas said churches also need to atone for their role. "I am very disappointed with the stance of the church for their silence."

On Sunday in Rome, the Pope expressed his pain over the recent discovery by the Tk'emlups te Secwepemc First Nation of the unmarked graves at the Kamloops Indian Residential School. But many Indigenous leaders have stated their disappointment and frustration over Pope Francis's remarks, saying they fall short of an apology for the Catholic Church's key part in the policy.

“Old wounds opened up. Our nation woke up," said Gerry Shingoose, an elder and survivor who attended the Muscowequan Residential School in Saskatchewan for a decade starting in the early 1960s.

“I ask that each one of you bring that love forward to the survivors and their families, because when we were in school we never received that love. We received hate," she said. "And no child should ever experience that.”

A vote on Gazan's motion, which requires unanimous consent to pass, is expected Thursday.

The Indian Residential Schools Resolution Health Support Program has a hotline to help residential school survivors and their relatives suffering with trauma invoked by the recall of past abuse. The number is 1-866-925-4419.

MORE National ARTICLES

All major routes in and out of Richmond to get to Vancouver International Airport shut down due to a shooting at the airport

All major routes in and out of Richmond to get to Vancouver International Airport shut down due to a shooting at the airport
 Queensborough bridge and Oak St bridge have just re-opened. The Knight Street Bridge is under lock down. Heavy police presence in the area. 

All major routes in and out of Richmond to get to Vancouver International Airport shut down due to a shooting at the airport

B.C. doctors defend approach to COVID-19 data

B.C. doctors defend approach to COVID-19 data
Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and her deputy, Dr. Réka Gustafson, said Friday they wouldn't characterize data first released to the Vancouver Sun by someone at the B.C. Centre for Disease Control as "leaked" because it would have been available in some form later anyway.

B.C. doctors defend approach to COVID-19 data

Provinces cracking down amid COVID-19 surge

Provinces cracking down amid COVID-19 surge
Manitoba was set to tighten restrictions later Friday amid an "alarming" rise in cases, said Dr. Jazz Atwal, the province's deputy chief public health officer.

Provinces cracking down amid COVID-19 surge

7 COVID19 deaths for Friday

7 COVID19 deaths for Friday
There are 6,757 active cases of COVID-19 in the province. A further 125,799 people who tested positive have recovered.

7 COVID19 deaths for Friday

B.C. RCMP gear up to expand COVID-19 road checks

B.C. RCMP gear up to expand COVID-19 road checks
Cpl. Chris Manseau says 127 vehicles were stopped at a roadblock in the Manning Park area with no fines handed out.

B.C. RCMP gear up to expand COVID-19 road checks

Telus CEO says capital spending will drop in 2023

Telus CEO says capital spending will drop in 2023
Entwistle told analysts Friday that about 90 per cent of the accelerated spending plan will be on fibre optic networks, 5G wireless networks and improvements to business processes.

Telus CEO says capital spending will drop in 2023