Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Report On Buddhist Leader's Alleged Misconduct Expected In January

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2018 06:39 PM
    HALIFAX — An independent probe into allegations against the spiritual leader of one of the western world's largest Buddhist organizations has finished accepting new claims, with a final report into sexual misconduct accusations expected by early January.
     
     
    In a statement to the Shambhala International community Monday, the organization's interim board said the Halifax law firm Wickwire Holm has been investigating allegations of sexual harm caused by Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche and other Shambhala leaders since late summer.
     
     
    The investigation closed to new claims on Nov. 16, and the investigator is continuing to review the claims received, the eight-member interim board said.
     
     
    The investigator is expected to submit a final report to the Buddhist organization no later than early January, the board said.
     
     
    "The board will review the information from the investigator and then provide a report of the investigation to the community," the board said in the statement, adding that it's "committed to providing transparency" on the findings without breaching confidentiality.
     
     
    Inspired by Tibetan Buddhism, Shambhala is one of the largest western Buddhist movements with more than 200 meditation centres and 12,000 members worldwide.
     
     
    Halifax is considered the world headquarters of Shambhala Buddhism, which has encouraged many Buddhists — mostly from the United States — to move to Nova Scotia while prompting locals to join the community.
     
     
    The investigation was launched after former Shambhala community member Andrea Winn published reports from women alleging sexual misconduct by the Buddhist leader.
     
     
    The accusations suggested a pattern of behaviour by the guru of heavy drinking and using his "kusung" or attendant to "procure women students for his own sexual gratification," according to one report.
     
     
    The women described being torn by their devotion to the leader — a holder of Shambhala lineage considered royalty within the Shambhala community — and claim they were "pushed from the inner circle" if they resisted his sexual advances.
     
     
    They also said members of the Shambhala leadership were aware or enabled his behaviour.
     
     
    The accusations prompted the Buddhist leader to step back from his duties pending the outcome of the third-party investigation. 
     
     
    In July, Mipham apologized for the "pain, confusion and anger" sweeping through the Shambhala community.
     
     
    He said he "engaged in relationships with women in the Shambhala community" and has recently learned that some of these women felt harmed.
     
     
    As more allegations surfaced, however, a lawyer for the spiritual leader made it clear his apology was not an admission of guilt.
     
     
    Michael Scott said in August that "the Sakyong categorically denies assaulting anyone, sexually or otherwise."
     
     
    Meanwhile, the allegations also led to the mass resignation of the Kalapa Council — the governing body of the Buddhist group — and the decision to usher in an interim board.
     
     
    Winn expressed concern Monday over whether the full results of the investigation would be shared with the community.
     
    In its statement, the interim board said its focus so far has been on understanding Shambhala's organization and operations and on issues of community care, "especially understanding and preventing harm."
     
     
    The board has also drafted a code of ethics, and hired an outside organization to provide "listening services" until the end of December.
     
     
    The interim leadership has also worked on the Buddhist group's finances, and said "Shambhala is currently running at an unsustainable monthly deficit."
     
     
    A finance committee is examining ways to "stabilize Shambhala's fiscal situation," with a financial plan expected in the coming months, the statement said.  
     
     
    The interim board will meet for the first time in person in Halifax early next month, which will include an "introductory meeting" with "the Sakyong" and a social reception with local community members.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Union Files Grievance Over Public School Teacher Shortage In B.C.

    Union Files Grievance Over Public School Teacher Shortage In B.C.
    VANCOUVER — British Columbia's teachers' union has filed a grievance over the shortage of educators in the province. 

    Union Files Grievance Over Public School Teacher Shortage In B.C.

    Six Months Added To Sentence Of Toronto Officer Convicted In Sammy Yatim Shooting

    Six Months Added To Sentence Of Toronto Officer Convicted In Sammy Yatim Shooting
    TORONTO — A Toronto police officer convicted in the fatal shooting of a troubled teen on an empty streetcar has had six months added to his prison sentence after pleading guilty to perjury, his lawyers said Thursday.

    Six Months Added To Sentence Of Toronto Officer Convicted In Sammy Yatim Shooting

    Doug Ford Won't Say If He Will March In Annual Pride Parade

    SAULT STE MARIE, Ont. — Doug Ford won't say whether he'll march in Toronto's annual Pride parade if he's elected Ontario premier.

    Doug Ford Won't Say If He Will March In Annual Pride Parade

    Letter To Spouse Applying For Permanent Residency 'Offensive,' Jenny Kwan Says

    Letter To Spouse Applying For Permanent Residency 'Offensive,' Jenny Kwan Says
    OTTAWA — A letter sent by a Canadian immigration officer to a couple questioning the legitimacy of their marriage includes language that an NDP MP says is "offensive and insulting."

    Letter To Spouse Applying For Permanent Residency 'Offensive,' Jenny Kwan Says

    Who Is BC's $30M 6/49 Jackpot Winner? It's A Secret

    Who Is BC's $30M 6/49 Jackpot Winner? It's A Secret
    Someone in British Columbia who had the exceedingly rare luck of winning the lottery has also been granted the rare privilege of anonymity due to what the lottery administrator is calling "extraordinary circumstances."

    Who Is BC's $30M 6/49 Jackpot Winner? It's A Secret

    Animal Trafficking Ring Suspected In B.C. After Bear Killed, Paws Cut Off

    Animal Trafficking Ring Suspected In B.C. After Bear Killed, Paws Cut Off
    PRINCE GEORGE, B.C. — Conservation officers in northern British Columbia suspect an animal parts trafficking ring may be behind a gruesome discovery north of Prince George.

    Animal Trafficking Ring Suspected In B.C. After Bear Killed, Paws Cut Off