Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Report On Buddhist Leader's Alleged Misconduct Expected In January

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2018 06:39 PM
    HALIFAX — An independent probe into allegations against the spiritual leader of one of the western world's largest Buddhist organizations has finished accepting new claims, with a final report into sexual misconduct accusations expected by early January.
     
     
    In a statement to the Shambhala International community Monday, the organization's interim board said the Halifax law firm Wickwire Holm has been investigating allegations of sexual harm caused by Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche and other Shambhala leaders since late summer.
     
     
    The investigation closed to new claims on Nov. 16, and the investigator is continuing to review the claims received, the eight-member interim board said.
     
     
    The investigator is expected to submit a final report to the Buddhist organization no later than early January, the board said.
     
     
    "The board will review the information from the investigator and then provide a report of the investigation to the community," the board said in the statement, adding that it's "committed to providing transparency" on the findings without breaching confidentiality.
     
     
    Inspired by Tibetan Buddhism, Shambhala is one of the largest western Buddhist movements with more than 200 meditation centres and 12,000 members worldwide.
     
     
    Halifax is considered the world headquarters of Shambhala Buddhism, which has encouraged many Buddhists — mostly from the United States — to move to Nova Scotia while prompting locals to join the community.
     
     
    The investigation was launched after former Shambhala community member Andrea Winn published reports from women alleging sexual misconduct by the Buddhist leader.
     
     
    The accusations suggested a pattern of behaviour by the guru of heavy drinking and using his "kusung" or attendant to "procure women students for his own sexual gratification," according to one report.
     
     
    The women described being torn by their devotion to the leader — a holder of Shambhala lineage considered royalty within the Shambhala community — and claim they were "pushed from the inner circle" if they resisted his sexual advances.
     
     
    They also said members of the Shambhala leadership were aware or enabled his behaviour.
     
     
    The accusations prompted the Buddhist leader to step back from his duties pending the outcome of the third-party investigation. 
     
     
    In July, Mipham apologized for the "pain, confusion and anger" sweeping through the Shambhala community.
     
     
    He said he "engaged in relationships with women in the Shambhala community" and has recently learned that some of these women felt harmed.
     
     
    As more allegations surfaced, however, a lawyer for the spiritual leader made it clear his apology was not an admission of guilt.
     
     
    Michael Scott said in August that "the Sakyong categorically denies assaulting anyone, sexually or otherwise."
     
     
    Meanwhile, the allegations also led to the mass resignation of the Kalapa Council — the governing body of the Buddhist group — and the decision to usher in an interim board.
     
     
    Winn expressed concern Monday over whether the full results of the investigation would be shared with the community.
     
    In its statement, the interim board said its focus so far has been on understanding Shambhala's organization and operations and on issues of community care, "especially understanding and preventing harm."
     
     
    The board has also drafted a code of ethics, and hired an outside organization to provide "listening services" until the end of December.
     
     
    The interim leadership has also worked on the Buddhist group's finances, and said "Shambhala is currently running at an unsustainable monthly deficit."
     
     
    A finance committee is examining ways to "stabilize Shambhala's fiscal situation," with a financial plan expected in the coming months, the statement said.  
     
     
    The interim board will meet for the first time in person in Halifax early next month, which will include an "introductory meeting" with "the Sakyong" and a social reception with local community members.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Air Canada Bows To Pressure And Lists Taipei As Being Part Of China

    Air Canada has listed the capital of Taiwan as a part of China on its booking website

    Air Canada Bows To Pressure And Lists Taipei As Being Part Of China

    B.C. Introduces Anti-SLAPP Legislation To Protect Public Interest Debates

    Earlier this year, former B.C. premier Ujjal Dosanjh, attorney general Wally Oppal and numerous civil rights and environmental groups publicly called on the government to introduce anti-SLAPP legislation.

    B.C. Introduces Anti-SLAPP Legislation To Protect Public Interest Debates

    Small Forest Fire Breaks Out In Popular Hiking Area North Of Vancouver

    Small Forest Fire Breaks Out In Popular Hiking Area North Of Vancouver
    PARKSVILLE, B.C. — A small wildfire has broken out on in a popular hiking destination north of Vancouver.

    Small Forest Fire Breaks Out In Popular Hiking Area North Of Vancouver

    Survivor Of Gun Violence In Afghanistan Says She Wants To Be 'Voice Of Women'

    Survivor Of Gun Violence In Afghanistan Says She Wants To Be 'Voice Of Women'
    A bullet from a rifle she said was fired by her husband shattered her cheek bone, collapsed her eye socket and took half her nose with it.

    Survivor Of Gun Violence In Afghanistan Says She Wants To Be 'Voice Of Women'

    Owners Of Multimillion Dollar Vancouver Home Owners Say They Can't Stomach Tax Bump

    Owners Of Multimillion Dollar Vancouver Home Owners Say They Can't Stomach Tax Bump
    VANCOUVER — Lynne Kent says owning a home in Vancouver that's valued at $4 million isn't the blessing it may appear to be.

    Owners Of Multimillion Dollar Vancouver Home Owners Say They Can't Stomach Tax Bump

    Southern B.C. Bracing For Round 2 Of Flooding As Snowpacks Melt

    Southern B.C. Bracing For Round 2 Of Flooding As Snowpacks Melt
    GRAND FORKS, B.C. — Flood weary residents in southern British Columbia are being told to brace for round two as rising temperatures accelerate the melting of high elevation snowpacks. 

    Southern B.C. Bracing For Round 2 Of Flooding As Snowpacks Melt