Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Report On Buddhist Leader's Alleged Misconduct Expected In January

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2018 06:39 PM
    HALIFAX — An independent probe into allegations against the spiritual leader of one of the western world's largest Buddhist organizations has finished accepting new claims, with a final report into sexual misconduct accusations expected by early January.
     
     
    In a statement to the Shambhala International community Monday, the organization's interim board said the Halifax law firm Wickwire Holm has been investigating allegations of sexual harm caused by Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche and other Shambhala leaders since late summer.
     
     
    The investigation closed to new claims on Nov. 16, and the investigator is continuing to review the claims received, the eight-member interim board said.
     
     
    The investigator is expected to submit a final report to the Buddhist organization no later than early January, the board said.
     
     
    "The board will review the information from the investigator and then provide a report of the investigation to the community," the board said in the statement, adding that it's "committed to providing transparency" on the findings without breaching confidentiality.
     
     
    Inspired by Tibetan Buddhism, Shambhala is one of the largest western Buddhist movements with more than 200 meditation centres and 12,000 members worldwide.
     
     
    Halifax is considered the world headquarters of Shambhala Buddhism, which has encouraged many Buddhists — mostly from the United States — to move to Nova Scotia while prompting locals to join the community.
     
     
    The investigation was launched after former Shambhala community member Andrea Winn published reports from women alleging sexual misconduct by the Buddhist leader.
     
     
    The accusations suggested a pattern of behaviour by the guru of heavy drinking and using his "kusung" or attendant to "procure women students for his own sexual gratification," according to one report.
     
     
    The women described being torn by their devotion to the leader — a holder of Shambhala lineage considered royalty within the Shambhala community — and claim they were "pushed from the inner circle" if they resisted his sexual advances.
     
     
    They also said members of the Shambhala leadership were aware or enabled his behaviour.
     
     
    The accusations prompted the Buddhist leader to step back from his duties pending the outcome of the third-party investigation. 
     
     
    In July, Mipham apologized for the "pain, confusion and anger" sweeping through the Shambhala community.
     
     
    He said he "engaged in relationships with women in the Shambhala community" and has recently learned that some of these women felt harmed.
     
     
    As more allegations surfaced, however, a lawyer for the spiritual leader made it clear his apology was not an admission of guilt.
     
     
    Michael Scott said in August that "the Sakyong categorically denies assaulting anyone, sexually or otherwise."
     
     
    Meanwhile, the allegations also led to the mass resignation of the Kalapa Council — the governing body of the Buddhist group — and the decision to usher in an interim board.
     
     
    Winn expressed concern Monday over whether the full results of the investigation would be shared with the community.
     
    In its statement, the interim board said its focus so far has been on understanding Shambhala's organization and operations and on issues of community care, "especially understanding and preventing harm."
     
     
    The board has also drafted a code of ethics, and hired an outside organization to provide "listening services" until the end of December.
     
     
    The interim leadership has also worked on the Buddhist group's finances, and said "Shambhala is currently running at an unsustainable monthly deficit."
     
     
    A finance committee is examining ways to "stabilize Shambhala's fiscal situation," with a financial plan expected in the coming months, the statement said.  
     
     
    The interim board will meet for the first time in person in Halifax early next month, which will include an "introductory meeting" with "the Sakyong" and a social reception with local community members.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Transgenders Can Now Get PAN Card Under 'Independent' Gender Category

    Transgenders Can Now Get PAN Card Under 'Independent' Gender Category
    The Central Board of Direct Taxes or CBDT, which frames policy for the department, issued a notification yesterday that provides a new tick box for the transgenders to apply for the PAN.

    Transgenders Can Now Get PAN Card Under 'Independent' Gender Category

    Trudeau Looks To Turn The Page On China, India With Major Foreign Trip

    Trudeau Looks To Turn The Page On China, India With Major Foreign Trip
    The stakes will be high, starting with Trudeau's first stop in Peru for the 8th Summit of the Americas, which plays host every four years to more than 30 countries across the Western Hemisphere.

    Trudeau Looks To Turn The Page On China, India With Major Foreign Trip

    Vancouver Rules For Short-Term Rentals To Ease City's Vacancy Rate: Mayor

    Vancouver Rules For Short-Term Rentals To Ease City's Vacancy Rate: Mayor
    VANCOUVER — The city of Vancouver is moving to legalize short-term rental accommodation like Airbnb but operators will only be able to advertise their principal residence.

    Vancouver Rules For Short-Term Rentals To Ease City's Vacancy Rate: Mayor

    It'll Take Months To Distribute Over $8M Raised For Humboldt Broncos: GoFundMe says

    It'll Take Months To Distribute Over $8M Raised For Humboldt Broncos: GoFundMe says
    It will take several months to distribute the more than $8 million raised so far for the victims of a fatal bus crash involving the Humboldt Broncos, says the platform hosting the online crowdfunding campaign — the largest ever in Canada.

    It'll Take Months To Distribute Over $8M Raised For Humboldt Broncos: GoFundMe says

    Daniel Jean, National Security Adviser At Centre Of Furor Over Pm's India Trip Retiring Soon

    Daniel Jean, National Security Adviser At Centre Of Furor Over Pm's India Trip Retiring Soon
    Daniel Jean notified the government in January — well before the furor erupted — of his intention to retire, said one source familiar with the matter. Another insider echoed the notion that Jean's plan to leave predates the current controversy.

    Daniel Jean, National Security Adviser At Centre Of Furor Over Pm's India Trip Retiring Soon

    Nova Scotia Police Chief To Stand Trial On Sex Charges Involving Girl, 17

    Nova Scotia Police Chief To Stand Trial On Sex Charges Involving Girl, 17
    BRIDGEWATER, N.S. — A Nova Scotia police chief accused of sexually assaulting a 17-year-old girl has been committed to stand trial in Nova Scotia Supreme Court.

    Nova Scotia Police Chief To Stand Trial On Sex Charges Involving Girl, 17