Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Report On Buddhist Leader's Alleged Misconduct Expected In January

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2018 06:39 PM
    HALIFAX — An independent probe into allegations against the spiritual leader of one of the western world's largest Buddhist organizations has finished accepting new claims, with a final report into sexual misconduct accusations expected by early January.
     
     
    In a statement to the Shambhala International community Monday, the organization's interim board said the Halifax law firm Wickwire Holm has been investigating allegations of sexual harm caused by Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche and other Shambhala leaders since late summer.
     
     
    The investigation closed to new claims on Nov. 16, and the investigator is continuing to review the claims received, the eight-member interim board said.
     
     
    The investigator is expected to submit a final report to the Buddhist organization no later than early January, the board said.
     
     
    "The board will review the information from the investigator and then provide a report of the investigation to the community," the board said in the statement, adding that it's "committed to providing transparency" on the findings without breaching confidentiality.
     
     
    Inspired by Tibetan Buddhism, Shambhala is one of the largest western Buddhist movements with more than 200 meditation centres and 12,000 members worldwide.
     
     
    Halifax is considered the world headquarters of Shambhala Buddhism, which has encouraged many Buddhists — mostly from the United States — to move to Nova Scotia while prompting locals to join the community.
     
     
    The investigation was launched after former Shambhala community member Andrea Winn published reports from women alleging sexual misconduct by the Buddhist leader.
     
     
    The accusations suggested a pattern of behaviour by the guru of heavy drinking and using his "kusung" or attendant to "procure women students for his own sexual gratification," according to one report.
     
     
    The women described being torn by their devotion to the leader — a holder of Shambhala lineage considered royalty within the Shambhala community — and claim they were "pushed from the inner circle" if they resisted his sexual advances.
     
     
    They also said members of the Shambhala leadership were aware or enabled his behaviour.
     
     
    The accusations prompted the Buddhist leader to step back from his duties pending the outcome of the third-party investigation. 
     
     
    In July, Mipham apologized for the "pain, confusion and anger" sweeping through the Shambhala community.
     
     
    He said he "engaged in relationships with women in the Shambhala community" and has recently learned that some of these women felt harmed.
     
     
    As more allegations surfaced, however, a lawyer for the spiritual leader made it clear his apology was not an admission of guilt.
     
     
    Michael Scott said in August that "the Sakyong categorically denies assaulting anyone, sexually or otherwise."
     
     
    Meanwhile, the allegations also led to the mass resignation of the Kalapa Council — the governing body of the Buddhist group — and the decision to usher in an interim board.
     
     
    Winn expressed concern Monday over whether the full results of the investigation would be shared with the community.
     
    In its statement, the interim board said its focus so far has been on understanding Shambhala's organization and operations and on issues of community care, "especially understanding and preventing harm."
     
     
    The board has also drafted a code of ethics, and hired an outside organization to provide "listening services" until the end of December.
     
     
    The interim leadership has also worked on the Buddhist group's finances, and said "Shambhala is currently running at an unsustainable monthly deficit."
     
     
    A finance committee is examining ways to "stabilize Shambhala's fiscal situation," with a financial plan expected in the coming months, the statement said.  
     
     
    The interim board will meet for the first time in person in Halifax early next month, which will include an "introductory meeting" with "the Sakyong" and a social reception with local community members.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Defence Proposals Sought To Provide More Protection And Security For Canadians

    Defence Proposals Sought To Provide More Protection And Security For Canadians
    Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan has put out a call for proposals aimed at dealing with defence and security threats.

    Defence Proposals Sought To Provide More Protection And Security For Canadians

    B.C. Takes New Approach To Testing Older Drivers, Some Ask If Ageism A Factor

    B.C. Takes New Approach To Testing Older Drivers, Some Ask If Ageism A Factor
    Frank Harding is 98 years old and most days he drives his 1990 Volvo sedan to the Comox Recreation Centre where he works out. 

    B.C. Takes New Approach To Testing Older Drivers, Some Ask If Ageism A Factor

    40 Illnesses Reported As B.C. Officials Warn Of Norovirus Outbreak

    40 Illnesses Reported As B.C. Officials Warn Of Norovirus Outbreak
    The BC Centre for Disease Control says there have been about 40 cases of the acute stomach upset since early March and all those who became ill reported eating raw oysters from B.C.

    40 Illnesses Reported As B.C. Officials Warn Of Norovirus Outbreak

    Man In Custody After Girl Sexually Assaulted In Surrey, B.C.: police

    Man In Custody After Girl Sexually Assaulted In Surrey, B.C.: police
    Police say they have a man in custody after a female youth was sexually assaulted in Surrey, B.C.

    Man In Custody After Girl Sexually Assaulted In Surrey, B.C.: police

    Vancouver's 2018 Cruise Season Marks Largest-Ever Vessel, 25 Million Passengers

    Vancouver's 2018 Cruise Season Marks Largest-Ever Vessel, 25 Million Passengers
    The Port of Vancouver says nearly one million passengers are expected to visit during its 2018 cruise ship season, starting Tuesday with the arrival of the Star Princess.

    Vancouver's 2018 Cruise Season Marks Largest-Ever Vessel, 25 Million Passengers

    Humboldt Bronco Player's Organ Donation Inspires Others To Become Donors

    Humboldt Bronco Player's Organ Donation Inspires Others To Become Donors
    Many social media users say the donation of Humboldt Broncos player Logan Boulet's organs has not only potentially saved lives, but inspired them to have the conversation with loved ones and become donors themselves.

    Humboldt Bronco Player's Organ Donation Inspires Others To Become Donors