Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Report says Alberta government created command challenges fighting Jasper wildfire

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 17 Jul, 2025 05:56 PM
  • Report says Alberta government created command challenges fighting Jasper wildfire

A report into a wildfire that devastated the Rocky Mountain resort town of Jasper last summer says crews did their best but command and control was hampered by the Alberta government.

The report was commissioned by the town and surveyed participants and firefighters who battled the wind-whipped blaze that destroyed a third of buildings in the community located in Jasper National Park.

While the report says it wasn't meant to assign blame, it notes that town and Parks Canada officials trained together and had an integrated command structure, but things became challenging when the province got involved.

It says the Alberta government, while not jurisdictionally responsible to lead the crisis, made things more difficult with regular requests for information and by seeking to exercise decision-making authority.

The report says the interference disrupted the focus of incident commanders and forced them to spend precious time managing inquiries and issues instead of fighting the fire and leading the re-entry of residents.

“The response to the Jasper Wildfire Complex demonstrated the effectiveness of the strong Unified Command established by the Municipality of Jasper and Parks Canada,” said the report, issued Thursday.

“Provincial involvement added complexity to the response as the Province of Alberta, though not jurisdictionally responsible to lead the incident, regularly requested information and sought to exercise decision-making authority," stated the report.

“While Alberta Wildfire actively supported firefighting operations and participated in the (incident management team), jurisdictional overlap with the province created political challenges that disrupted the focus of incident commanders, leading to time spent managing inquiries and issues instead of directing the wildfire response and re-entry.”

A spokesman for Alberta Public Safety Minister Mike Ellis said they were working on a response.

Jasper officials said they were not able to comment on the report but could do so Friday.

The fire entered the town last July 24, with 25,000 residents and visitors forced out days earlier. 

The residents were out for three weeks.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Amber Bracken

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Repair work will keep 60-year-old ferry out of service for half a year: BC Ferries

Repair work will keep 60-year-old ferry out of service for half a year: BC Ferries
The company operating British Columbia's ferries says divers have recovered a propeller that fell off one of its vessels and triggered an oil spill earlier this week, but notes it will take six months to complete the needed repairs. A statement from BC Ferries says the propeller from the 60 year-old Queen of New Westminster -- which weighs about 4,500 kilograms -- was pulled from the seabed Saturday morning after two days of recovery work.

Repair work will keep 60-year-old ferry out of service for half a year: BC Ferries

Whistler RCMP tracks down family of child found alone and barefoot

Whistler RCMP tracks down family of child found alone and barefoot
RCMP in British Columbia say they've found the family of a boy who was found barefoot and wandering alone in Whistler over the weekend. Mounties in Whistler say they responded to a report of an unaccompanied child, who they believed was about 12-years old, on Saturday night at Dairy Queen on Main Street.

Whistler RCMP tracks down family of child found alone and barefoot

Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall
The union representing HandyDART workers in Metro Vancouver says it won't be getting a counterproposal to end the strike until at least Thursday. Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1724 says officials from the employer Transdev left mediation talks at the Labour Board just after 8 p.m. Sunday to consider the union's latest proposal.

Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

Woman charged in weekend home invasion, stabbing in Kelowna

Woman charged in weekend home invasion, stabbing in Kelowna
A 24-year-old woman faces a charge for what RCMP in Kelowna say was a home invasion where another woman was repeatedly stabbed. Officers responded to the call on Saturday and found a 28-year-old woman with life-threatening injuries after she had been stabbed several times. 

Woman charged in weekend home invasion, stabbing in Kelowna

Canada launches legal challenges of U.S. softwood lumber duty increases

Canada launches legal challenges of U.S. softwood lumber duty increases
The federal government says Canada will challenge recent increases to softwood lumber duties by the United States. International Trade Minister Mary Ng says Canada has taken steps to launch two legal challenges under the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement.

Canada launches legal challenges of U.S. softwood lumber duty increases

BC United sources leak 'extremism' file on B.C. Conservatives' executive Isidorou

BC United sources leak 'extremism' file on B.C. Conservatives' executive Isidorou
Sources in the Official Opposition BC United party have leaked a file on the "extremism" of the B.C. Conservatives' executive director, Angelo Isidorou, less than two weeks after the parties' leaders announced a deal to work together.

BC United sources leak 'extremism' file on B.C. Conservatives' executive Isidorou