Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Report says Alberta government created command challenges fighting Jasper wildfire

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 17 Jul, 2025 05:56 PM
  • Report says Alberta government created command challenges fighting Jasper wildfire

A report into a wildfire that devastated the Rocky Mountain resort town of Jasper last summer says crews did their best but command and control was hampered by the Alberta government.

The report was commissioned by the town and surveyed participants and firefighters who battled the wind-whipped blaze that destroyed a third of buildings in the community located in Jasper National Park.

While the report says it wasn't meant to assign blame, it notes that town and Parks Canada officials trained together and had an integrated command structure, but things became challenging when the province got involved.

It says the Alberta government, while not jurisdictionally responsible to lead the crisis, made things more difficult with regular requests for information and by seeking to exercise decision-making authority.

The report says the interference disrupted the focus of incident commanders and forced them to spend precious time managing inquiries and issues instead of fighting the fire and leading the re-entry of residents.

“The response to the Jasper Wildfire Complex demonstrated the effectiveness of the strong Unified Command established by the Municipality of Jasper and Parks Canada,” said the report, issued Thursday.

“Provincial involvement added complexity to the response as the Province of Alberta, though not jurisdictionally responsible to lead the incident, regularly requested information and sought to exercise decision-making authority," stated the report.

“While Alberta Wildfire actively supported firefighting operations and participated in the (incident management team), jurisdictional overlap with the province created political challenges that disrupted the focus of incident commanders, leading to time spent managing inquiries and issues instead of directing the wildfire response and re-entry.”

A spokesman for Alberta Public Safety Minister Mike Ellis said they were working on a response.

Jasper officials said they were not able to comment on the report but could do so Friday.

The fire entered the town last July 24, with 25,000 residents and visitors forced out days earlier. 

The residents were out for three weeks.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Amber Bracken

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Thunderstorms, lightning in forecast with more than 400 wildfires burning in B.C.

Thunderstorms, lightning in forecast with more than 400 wildfires burning in B.C.
Little rain and a lot of lightning is fuelling wildfire activity in British Columbia.  The BC Wildfire service says lightning has been the spark behind more than 80 per cent of nearly 260 new blazes over the last week.

Thunderstorms, lightning in forecast with more than 400 wildfires burning in B.C.

One dead after vehicle reportedly crosses highway median in Nanaimo

One dead after vehicle reportedly crosses highway median in Nanaimo
Police on Vancouver Island are investigating a two-vehicle highway crash that killed one person over the weekend. Nanaimo RCMP say witnesses told police they saw the driver of a car cross the median on the Nanaimo Parkway and hit an SUV head on. 

One dead after vehicle reportedly crosses highway median in Nanaimo

Jasper wildfire evacuees can start returning to townsite on Friday

Jasper wildfire evacuees can start returning to townsite on Friday
People who live in Jasper, Alta., will be allowed to return to the community on Friday, but wildfire officials say they should not expect to spend the night in their homes. Town incident commander Christine Nadon told reporters it's a blanket re-entry to allow everyone to come back at once. 

Jasper wildfire evacuees can start returning to townsite on Friday

CBC paid over $18 million in bonuses in 2024 after it eliminated hundreds of jobs

CBC paid over $18 million in bonuses in 2024 after it eliminated hundreds of jobs
The Canadian Broadcasting Corp. paid $18.4 million in bonuses this year after hundreds of jobs at the public broadcaster were eliminated. Documents obtained through access to information laws show CBC/Radio-Canada paid out bonuses to 1,194 employees for the 2023-24 fiscal year.

CBC paid over $18 million in bonuses in 2024 after it eliminated hundreds of jobs

Thrift store in B.C. closed after historical explosive device was dropped off

Thrift store in B.C. closed after historical explosive device was dropped off
Experts from the navy were dispatched to a Vancouver Island thrift store to deal with what police are calling a "historical military explosive device."  Mounties from the Sidney North Saanich detachment say employees from the store in Sidney, B.C., called them around 2:30 p.m. Saturday, reporting the device being dropped off there. 

Thrift store in B.C. closed after historical explosive device was dropped off

Cannabis oils and softgels recalled due to intoxicating ingredients: Heath Canada

Cannabis oils and softgels recalled due to intoxicating ingredients: Heath Canada
Health Canada has announced a recall of several cannabis oils and softgels because they may contain unexpected amounts of THC and HHC. The agency says both ingredients are intoxicants and could pose a danger to consumers. 

Cannabis oils and softgels recalled due to intoxicating ingredients: Heath Canada