Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Report says Alberta government created command challenges fighting Jasper wildfire

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 17 Jul, 2025 05:56 PM
  • Report says Alberta government created command challenges fighting Jasper wildfire

A report into a wildfire that devastated the Rocky Mountain resort town of Jasper last summer says crews did their best but command and control was hampered by the Alberta government.

The report was commissioned by the town and surveyed participants and firefighters who battled the wind-whipped blaze that destroyed a third of buildings in the community located in Jasper National Park.

While the report says it wasn't meant to assign blame, it notes that town and Parks Canada officials trained together and had an integrated command structure, but things became challenging when the province got involved.

It says the Alberta government, while not jurisdictionally responsible to lead the crisis, made things more difficult with regular requests for information and by seeking to exercise decision-making authority.

The report says the interference disrupted the focus of incident commanders and forced them to spend precious time managing inquiries and issues instead of fighting the fire and leading the re-entry of residents.

“The response to the Jasper Wildfire Complex demonstrated the effectiveness of the strong Unified Command established by the Municipality of Jasper and Parks Canada,” said the report, issued Thursday.

“Provincial involvement added complexity to the response as the Province of Alberta, though not jurisdictionally responsible to lead the incident, regularly requested information and sought to exercise decision-making authority," stated the report.

“While Alberta Wildfire actively supported firefighting operations and participated in the (incident management team), jurisdictional overlap with the province created political challenges that disrupted the focus of incident commanders, leading to time spent managing inquiries and issues instead of directing the wildfire response and re-entry.”

A spokesman for Alberta Public Safety Minister Mike Ellis said they were working on a response.

Jasper officials said they were not able to comment on the report but could do so Friday.

The fire entered the town last July 24, with 25,000 residents and visitors forced out days earlier. 

The residents were out for three weeks.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Amber Bracken

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Boeing will spend $61M in B.C. as part of Canada's military planes contract

Boeing will spend $61M in B.C. as part of Canada's military planes contract
Boeing Canada plans to invest $61 million in British Columbia for an aerospace manufacturing training facility as well as research and development. The announcement is the latest from the American aviation giant as part of a multibillion-dollar deal with Ottawa on the purchase of new military surveillance planes.

Boeing will spend $61M in B.C. as part of Canada's military planes contract

Utility worker injured in shooting in rural area east of Calgary, another person dead

Utility worker injured in shooting in rural area east of Calgary, another person dead
Fortis Alberta says one of its employees was shot and injured while performing routine work east of Calgary. Mounties in Strathmore say they responded to a shooting in a rural area in Rocky View County around midday Tuesday and found one person dead and another superficially wounded.

Utility worker injured in shooting in rural area east of Calgary, another person dead

WestJet says 10 per cent of fleet grounded after Calgary pummelled by hail

WestJet says 10 per cent of fleet grounded after Calgary pummelled by hail
WestJet says 16 of its planes have been grounded after a massive hailstorm hit Calgary earlier this week.  The Calgary-based airline says those aircraft — 10 per cent of its fleet — need substantial repairs and inspections before they can fly again. 

WestJet says 10 per cent of fleet grounded after Calgary pummelled by hail

Ontario man charged after threatening Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in online video

Ontario man charged after threatening Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in online video
Another person has been arrested after making threats against Prime Minister Justin Trudeau online. Police say a man made violent threats against Trudeau, the police and security personnel who might attempt to interfere with his plans in an online video.

Ontario man charged after threatening Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in online video

Weakening job market was on BoC's mind as it cut interest rates, summary suggests

Weakening job market was on BoC's mind as it cut interest rates, summary suggests
The Bank of Canada wants the economy to pick up speed again and some members of its governing council are concerned that weak job market conditions could hinder that process. That's according to the central bank's newly released summary of deliberations detailing discussions ahead of the July 24 rate decision. 

Weakening job market was on BoC's mind as it cut interest rates, summary suggests

Canada says travellers should exercise 'high degree of caution' in U.K. amid protests

Canada says travellers should exercise 'high degree of caution' in U.K. amid protests
The Canadian government has updated its travel advisory for the United Kingdom amid a rash of ongoing demonstrations. It says visitors should "exercise a high degree of caution" in the country and takes note of demonstrations and violent clashes between protesters and police over the past week. 

Canada says travellers should exercise 'high degree of caution' in U.K. amid protests