Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Researcher warns against intervention as B.C. port workers conclude contract vote

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Aug, 2023 10:33 AM
  • Researcher warns against intervention as B.C. port workers conclude contract vote

A labour researcher says he hopes the federal government doesn't rush to intervene in British Columbia's port dispute, even if union members reject a tentative deal with employers today.

The International Longshore and Warehouse Union Canada concludes the two-day vote at 6 p.m., after a tumultuous period that included a 13-day shutdown of more than 30 port terminals and other sites last month.

McGill University associate professor Barry Eidlin says he hopes the federal government lets the dispute be resolved at the negotiating table, regardless of the vote's outcome.

He says the prospect of federal intervention represents "backsliding to a past era" when workers' fundamental rights weren't respected.

The tentative contract between the union and the BC Maritime Employers Association was announced on Sunday, a day after federal Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan directed the Canada Industrial Relations Board to impose a deal or binding arbitration if it decides a negotiated resolution isn't possible.

Union leaders say workers' key concerns relate to automation and the contracting out of maintenance work, both of which present fundamental challenges to the future of port jobs.

The strike from July 1 to 13 ended when a previous tentative deal was struck, but union members rejected it in a vote on July 28, triggering O'Regan's order for the industrial relations board to get involved.

MORE National ARTICLES

2 women forcibly confined in a van, one of them assaulted & robbed of her money

2 women forcibly confined in a van, one of them assaulted & robbed of her money
It was determined early in the investigation that all of the occupants knew each other. Police took immediate action to locate the other remaining victim who was in the U-Haul van and allegedly being forcibly confined by a male and female suspect.

2 women forcibly confined in a van, one of them assaulted & robbed of her money

Surrey massage therapist charged with sexual assault

Surrey massage therapist charged with sexual assault
On November 25, 2022, 50-year-old, Gudbjartur Bodhi Haraldsson, who goes by Bodhi was arrested and charged with one count of sexual assault. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Surrey RCMP. 

Surrey massage therapist charged with sexual assault

VPD seek to identify 2 women who smashed the front window of a downtown retailer

VPD seek to identify 2 women who smashed the front window of a downtown retailer
The suspects were captured on store surveillance cameras loitering at the entrance of City Lux Boutique, near Howe and Nelson streets on December 6 just after 4:30 a.m. One of the suspects used an object to shatter the glass on the window next to the front door. Both women then fled the area.

VPD seek to identify 2 women who smashed the front window of a downtown retailer

Five B.C. kids died from flu in November

Five B.C. kids died from flu in November
Before the COVID-19 pandemic, an average five to six kids died per flu season across Canada, data from a national surveillance network administered by the Canadian Paediatric Association known as IMPACT shows.  

Five B.C. kids died from flu in November

Maintenance problems led to fatal B.C. crash: TSB

Maintenance problems led to fatal B.C. crash: TSB
The lone pilot, who was also the owner of E & B Helicopters Ltd., died when the chopper slammed into a building and burst into flames. No one was hurt on the ground.   

Maintenance problems led to fatal B.C. crash: TSB

Hundreds of permanent residents apply to military

Hundreds of permanent residents apply to military
Chief of the defence staff Gen. Wayne Eyre officially opened the military’s doors to all permanent residents in October, in direct response to an unprecedented personnel crisis that has left the Armed Forces scrambling for new recruits. Defence Minister Anita Anand publicly announced the measure, which went into effect on Oct. 18, on Monday.  

Hundreds of permanent residents apply to military