Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Researcher warns against intervention as B.C. port workers conclude contract vote

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Aug, 2023 10:33 AM
  • Researcher warns against intervention as B.C. port workers conclude contract vote

A labour researcher says he hopes the federal government doesn't rush to intervene in British Columbia's port dispute, even if union members reject a tentative deal with employers today.

The International Longshore and Warehouse Union Canada concludes the two-day vote at 6 p.m., after a tumultuous period that included a 13-day shutdown of more than 30 port terminals and other sites last month.

McGill University associate professor Barry Eidlin says he hopes the federal government lets the dispute be resolved at the negotiating table, regardless of the vote's outcome.

He says the prospect of federal intervention represents "backsliding to a past era" when workers' fundamental rights weren't respected.

The tentative contract between the union and the BC Maritime Employers Association was announced on Sunday, a day after federal Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan directed the Canada Industrial Relations Board to impose a deal or binding arbitration if it decides a negotiated resolution isn't possible.

Union leaders say workers' key concerns relate to automation and the contracting out of maintenance work, both of which present fundamental challenges to the future of port jobs.

The strike from July 1 to 13 ended when a previous tentative deal was struck, but union members rejected it in a vote on July 28, triggering O'Regan's order for the industrial relations board to get involved.

MORE National ARTICLES

Did you lose a large sum of cash at IKEA in Coquitlam?

Did you lose a large sum of cash at IKEA in Coquitlam?
The cash is believed to have been dropped sometime in early September 2022. Coquitlam RCMP is also encouraging the public to make police reports if they lose a large sum of cash.

Did you lose a large sum of cash at IKEA in Coquitlam?

74-year-old woman attacked in East Vancouver, shoved to the ground and threatened with a knife

74-year-old woman attacked in East Vancouver,  shoved to the ground and threatened with a knife
The senior was headed to catch a bus around 5:30 p.m. when a stranger pushed her down, threatened her with a knife, and demanded money. The victim began to scream and the suspect fled without getting any cash.

74-year-old woman attacked in East Vancouver, shoved to the ground and threatened with a knife

Ontario's top doctor 'strongly' recommends masking

Ontario's top doctor 'strongly' recommends masking
Dr. Kieran Moore's advice came as pediatrics hospitals have been overwhelmed in recent weeks by a massive influx of very sick patients. COVID-19 is still circulating, but the larger threats to young children at the moment are influenza and respiratory syncytial virus, or RSV, he said, noting that capacity in children's hospitals is at 100 per cent.

Ontario's top doctor 'strongly' recommends masking

More imported kids' meds heading to stores: feds

More imported kids' meds heading to stores: feds
The agency, which had previously announced it was importing acetaminophen and ibuprofen to be distributed to hospitals, said the new retail supply should help families struggling to treat their sick children.

More imported kids' meds heading to stores: feds

Emissions cap on oil and gas likely by end of 2023

Emissions cap on oil and gas likely by end of 2023
A cap on greenhouse gas emissions from Canada's oil and gas sector will be ready by the end of next year, Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault said Monday. In an interview from Egypt where he is attending the 27th instalment of the United Nations climate talks, Guilbeault said the government is developing the regulations in "record time."

Emissions cap on oil and gas likely by end of 2023

Two deny murdering man after B.C. prison escape

Two deny murdering man after B.C. prison escape
Zachary Armitage and James Lee Busch are charged with killing 60-year-old Martin Payne in July 2019, a day after the pair walked away from William Head Institution, located about eight kilometres from the victim's home in Metchosin.  

Two deny murdering man after B.C. prison escape