Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Researcher warns against intervention as B.C. port workers conclude contract vote

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Aug, 2023 10:33 AM
  • Researcher warns against intervention as B.C. port workers conclude contract vote

A labour researcher says he hopes the federal government doesn't rush to intervene in British Columbia's port dispute, even if union members reject a tentative deal with employers today.

The International Longshore and Warehouse Union Canada concludes the two-day vote at 6 p.m., after a tumultuous period that included a 13-day shutdown of more than 30 port terminals and other sites last month.

McGill University associate professor Barry Eidlin says he hopes the federal government lets the dispute be resolved at the negotiating table, regardless of the vote's outcome.

He says the prospect of federal intervention represents "backsliding to a past era" when workers' fundamental rights weren't respected.

The tentative contract between the union and the BC Maritime Employers Association was announced on Sunday, a day after federal Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan directed the Canada Industrial Relations Board to impose a deal or binding arbitration if it decides a negotiated resolution isn't possible.

Union leaders say workers' key concerns relate to automation and the contracting out of maintenance work, both of which present fundamental challenges to the future of port jobs.

The strike from July 1 to 13 ended when a previous tentative deal was struck, but union members rejected it in a vote on July 28, triggering O'Regan's order for the industrial relations board to get involved.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. park reopens after pandemic closure

B.C. park reopens after pandemic closure
Peace Arch Provincial Park, the nine-hectare park that straddles the B.C.-Washington state border south of Vancouver, reopened Monday after being closed more than two years ago amid pandemic-related border closures.

B.C. park reopens after pandemic closure

Feds reject Rogers-Shaw deal, leave door open

Feds reject Rogers-Shaw deal, leave door open
Shaw's ownership of Freedom Mobile has widely been seen as the main obstacle to the deal's approval, and Montreal-based Videotron earlier this year agreed to buy it for $2.85 billion. But Champagne said before he would approve the Videotron deal, he requires additional concessions.  

Feds reject Rogers-Shaw deal, leave door open

Freeland stresses Bank of Canada's independence

Freeland stresses Bank of Canada's independence
The central bank is expected to raise its key interest rate by half or three quarters of a percentage point on Wednesday in an effort to clamp down on decades-high inflation, making it the sixth consecutive rate hike this year.

Freeland stresses Bank of Canada's independence

New information links homicide of Dhindsa brothers to multiple Lower Mainland shootings

New information links homicide of Dhindsa brothers to multiple Lower Mainland shootings
On March 19, 2021, Richmond RCMP officers responded to the 22000-block of Rathburn Drive to assist with a structure fire. The deceased were identified as brothers, Chaten Dhindsa, 25 and Joban Dhindsa, 23, both of Richmond. The injuries sustained by the Dhindsa brothers were consistent with a homicide. 

New information links homicide of Dhindsa brothers to multiple Lower Mainland shootings

Restaurants and bars hope for holiday boom

Restaurants and bars hope for holiday boom
Some restaurants and bars are starting to book holiday parties, both corporate and personal, but it remains to be seen whether bookings will return to pre-pandemic levels,  There are also fears that the winter could bring a wave of cancellations, after last year’s holiday season saw COVID-19 cases skyrocket, and many establishments chose to close their doors for New Year’s Eve.

Restaurants and bars hope for holiday boom

PBO says new dental benefit vulnerable to fraud

PBO says new dental benefit vulnerable to fraud
The PBO recently estimated that the dental benefit will cost $703 million, while the rental support will cost up to $940 million. The dental benefit is meant to be an interim measure while the government works on a more complete dental-care program.

PBO says new dental benefit vulnerable to fraud