Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Safety board to release report on B.C. tug sinking

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Mar, 2023 10:46 AM
  • Safety board to release report on B.C. tug sinking

VANCOUVER - A report into a deadly tug boat sinking off British Columbia's north coast will be released today.

Transportation Safety Board chair Kathy Fox and Clifford Harvey, the director of marine investigations, will hold a news conference to reveal the findings on the sinking of the tug Ingenika in February 2021.

The tug was towing a barge and had a captain and two crew members aboard when it took on water and sank in Gardner Canal.

A search and rescue operation found one survivor on land, while the bodies of 58-year-old captain Troy Pearson and 25-year-old crew member Charley Cragg were recovered.

The barge was found not far from the site of the sinking, although the tug, which had 3,500 litres of diesel fuel in its tanks, has never been recovered.

Charges under the Workers Compensation Act were laid last month against the tug company, Wainwright Marine Services, and one of its senior officials, alleging violations of occupational health and safety regulations.

MORE National ARTICLES

New storm bears down on coastal B.C.

New storm bears down on coastal B.C.
The incoming storm is also expected to deluge parts of Metro Vancouver, including Coquitlam and Maple Ridge, with more than 100 millimetres of rain before it eases late Sunday and the weather office says rainfall warnings are likely to be issued as the forecasts are refined.

New storm bears down on coastal B.C.

Dental care benefit passes third reading

Dental care benefit passes third reading
Dental care is a pillar of the supply and confidence deal between the Liberals and the NDP. The Liberals promised to launch a federal dental care insurance program by the end of 2022, starting with coverage for children from low- and middle-income families.

Dental care benefit passes third reading

B.C. wife of ISIS fighter released on bail

B.C. wife of ISIS fighter released on bail
Under the bail conditions, Polman is prohibited from possessing a cellphone or any other device capable of connecting to the internet, and from driving any motorized vehicle. She cannot possess any documents related to a terrorist group or leave B.C. without the consent of her bail supervisor, and she must be electronically monitored and abide by a 9 p.m. curfew.

B.C. wife of ISIS fighter released on bail

Food bank usage hit all-time high: report

Food bank usage hit all-time high: report
The report, which looked at data from more than 4,750 food banks and community organizations, said the skyrocketing cost of food and housing, as well as high inflation and lowsocial assistance rates, have contributed to the rise in food bank usage. Kirstin Beardsley, the CEO of Food Banks Canada, called the numbers "devastating."

Food bank usage hit all-time high: report

Federal deficit comes in lower than expected

Federal deficit comes in lower than expected
According to public accounts documents released Thursday, the federal deficit for the 2021-22 fiscal year was less than expected because of Canada's strong economic recovery from the pandemic and the winding-down of pandemic supports. The federal deficit was $90.2 billion, while the 2022 budget projected it would come in at $113.8 billion.

Federal deficit comes in lower than expected

New B.C. premier David Eby to be sworn in Nov. 18

New B.C. premier David Eby to be sworn in Nov. 18
The Office of the Premier says in a news release that the ceremony to make Eby B.C.'s 37th premier will take place at Government House, with further details to be provided soon. Eby became premier-designate last week after being acclaimed as leader of the New Democrats, about four months after Horgan announced his impending retirement for health reasons.

New B.C. premier David Eby to be sworn in Nov. 18