Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Search Continues For Accomplished B.C. Climber Missing In Alaskan Range

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Mar, 2018 11:44 AM
    VANCOUVER — An accomplished B.C. alpinist spent 10 years training for the Alaskan mountain range where he disappeared last week, a family friend said
     
     
    Marc-Andre Leclerc, 24, of Squamish, B.C., and his climbing partner Ryan Johnson, 34, of Juneau, Alaska, have been missing for nearly a week.
     
     
    Treya Klassen, a close friend of Leclerc's father, said the young man has had his eye on climbing Mendenhall Towers for years.
     
     
    "He's seasoned to do this. He's trained to be able to survive a lot. He trained, so hopefully he's holed up in a cave, waiting out a storm," she said.
     
     
    On Wednesday morning Alaska State Troopers were alerted that Leclerc and Johnson had not returned from climbing the mountains, which are located in the Mendenhall Ice Field north of Juneau.
     
     
     
     
    They had been dropped off near the moutain ridge on March 4. Leclerc posted an Instagram photo from near the summit of th 2,100-metre main tower the following day, but officials said he hasn't been heard from since, even though they were supposed to hike and ski back to Juneau by Wednesday evening.
     
     
    There was a significant snow storm in the region on Wednesday and neither of the men were equipped with a satellite phone or emergency beacon.
     
     
    Some of the men's gear has been found, but the search for the men is ongoing.
     
     
    Klassen said helicopters scoured the area Sunday, but had to call off the search later in the day because there was too much cloud cover. She said a K-9 unit will hit the ground Monday.
     
     
    A chartered Coastal Helicopter with Juneau Mountain Rescue personnel and the U.S. Coast Guard are assisting in the search.
     
     
    Outside magazine has called Leclerc "one of the best young alpinists in the world," and his biography on sponsor Arc'Teryx's website said Leclerc completed several ascents in Canada and Patagonia.
     
     
    "He's a powerful human being. It takes something to do these endeavours," said Klassen, who set up a fundraising page in his name to help the family travel to Alaska to participate in the search.
     
     
    "He's an amazing human being and he comes from an amazing family."

    MORE National ARTICLES

    WATCH: Song Breaks Out On Flight When Attendant Sees Men Of The Deeps On Board

    WATCH: Song Breaks Out On Flight When Attendant Sees Men Of The Deeps On Board
    The group, sitting about seven rows deep, broke into a version of "Dust in the Air" that filled the plane as it cruised mid-flight.

    WATCH: Song Breaks Out On Flight When Attendant Sees Men Of The Deeps On Board

    Critics Decry Ban On Sexual Touching At Strip Clubs In London, Ont.

    Critics Decry Ban On Sexual Touching At Strip Clubs In London, Ont.
    A municipal ban on sexual touching in strip clubs is putting sex workers at risk, hampering their ability to make money and denigrating their autonomy, according to some activists in London, Ont.

    Critics Decry Ban On Sexual Touching At Strip Clubs In London, Ont.

    Manitoba Premier Brian Pallister Under Fire For Thanking Chamber Chair For Wearing High Heels

    Manitoba Premier Brian Pallister Under Fire For Thanking Chamber Chair For Wearing High Heels
    "I want to thank Johanna for dressing up. I want to thank her for those heels. I notice they are a foot high," Pallister said to an audience of business people.

    Manitoba Premier Brian Pallister Under Fire For Thanking Chamber Chair For Wearing High Heels

    Russian Man Sentenced For Smuggling People From Canada Into U.S.

    Russian Man Sentenced For Smuggling People From Canada Into U.S.
    The U.S. Attorney's Office in Albany says Nikolay Souslov was sentenced Thursday to three years in prison for his conviction in May on alien smuggling charges.

    Russian Man Sentenced For Smuggling People From Canada Into U.S.

    'Targeted' Shooting In South Surrey: One Man Sent To Hospital

    'Targeted' Shooting In South Surrey: One Man Sent To Hospital
    Surrey RCMP say a man suffering from gunshot injuries was transported to hospital in serious condition following a shooting this morning in the 17000 block of 21st Avenue.

    'Targeted' Shooting In South Surrey: One Man Sent To Hospital

    Muslim Woman Noor Fadel Says Alleged Attack On Vancouver Train Left Her Feeling Unsafe

    Muslim Woman Noor Fadel Says Alleged Attack On Vancouver Train Left Her Feeling Unsafe
    Police say 46-year-old Pierre Belzan of no fixed address has been charged with one count of threatening to cause death or bodily harm and one count of assault.

    Muslim Woman Noor Fadel Says Alleged Attack On Vancouver Train Left Her Feeling Unsafe