Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. municipal leaders gather to talk infrastructure, addiction, emergency management

B.C. municipal leaders gather to talk infrastructure, addiction, emergency management
Municipal leaders are going to spend the week discussing more than 200 pages worth of resolutions at the conference. Mandewo says issues surrounding addiction and toxic drugs are front and centre in members' minds. Resolutions include calls for more overdose prevention sites, more complex care beds for people struggling with addiction, and more money directed at community safety.

B.C. municipal leaders gather to talk infrastructure, addiction, emergency management

Man slashed across the face: VPD

Man slashed across the face: VPD
Vancouver police say a man needed to be hospitalized after being slashed across the face.  Police say it happened late Saturday night in the Granville Entertainment District.

Man slashed across the face: VPD

Fatal vehicle fire in Coquitlam

Fatal vehicle fire in Coquitlam
Mounties in Coquitlam say they’re investigating a fatal vehicle fire in the parking lot of the City Centre Aquatic Complex. Police were called yesterday to the report of the fire and say they found a body inside the vehicle. 

Fatal vehicle fire in Coquitlam

Two dead after truck carrying seven teens crashes in eastern Alberta

Two dead after truck carrying seven teens crashes in eastern Alberta
A 19-year-old and a 17-year-old are dead after police say a truck carrying seven teens crashed in eastern Alberta. RCMP say officers responded to the single-vehicle crash early Sunday on a township road near Consort, approximately 260 km northeast of Calgary.

Two dead after truck carrying seven teens crashes in eastern Alberta

Eby pledges involuntary care for severe addictions in B.C., ahead of October election

Eby pledges involuntary care for severe addictions in B.C., ahead of October election
British Columbia will be opening secure facilities to provide involuntary care under the Mental Health Act for those with severe addictions who are mentally ill and have sustained a brain injury, the premier announced Sunday just days ahead of the start of a provincial election campaign. David Eby pledged a re-elected NDP would change the law in the next legislative session to "provide clarity and ensure that people, including youth, can and should receive care when they are unable to seek it themselves."

Eby pledges involuntary care for severe addictions in B.C., ahead of October election

B.C. commits to earlier, enhanced pensions for wildland firefighters

B.C. commits to earlier, enhanced pensions for wildland firefighters
Eby says in a statement the province and the BC General Employees' Union have reached an agreement-in-principle to "enhance" pensions for firefighting personnel employed directly by the BC Wildfire Service.

B.C. commits to earlier, enhanced pensions for wildland firefighters