Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Homeland Security takes steps to tighten asylum rules at Canadian border

Homeland Security takes steps to tighten asylum rules at Canadian border
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security says people seeking asylum at the northern border with Canada will have less time to consult a lawyer before making their case. The department says it reviewed the Safe Third Country Agreement with Canada and concluded that it could streamline the process.

Homeland Security takes steps to tighten asylum rules at Canadian border

Transportation Safety Board issues safety reminders after fatal B.C. plane crash

Transportation Safety Board issues safety reminders after fatal B.C. plane crash
A report from the Transportation Safety Board says an investigation couldn't determine a specific cause of a fatal small plane crash in southeastern B.C. last year, but it has prompted some reminders for operators. A witness near the community of Brisco, B.C., called 911 on Nov. 24, 2023, to say they had watched the Piper Cherokee nose dive into the ground, but it took searchers another 17 hours before they found the wreck and the dead pilot inside. 

Transportation Safety Board issues safety reminders after fatal B.C. plane crash

Lightning-caused wildfires expected to persist in B.C.: Wildfire Service

Lightning-caused wildfires expected to persist in B.C.: Wildfire Service
The BC Wildfire Service says hot and dry weather paired with 29 consecutive days of lightning has led to the more than 400 active wildfires burning across the province. Though seasonable temperatures are forecast to return this week, the service says new lightning-caused fires are expected to persist.

Lightning-caused wildfires expected to persist in B.C.: Wildfire Service

BC United promises huge provincial income tax cut, raising exemption to $50,000

BC United promises huge provincial income tax cut, raising exemption to $50,000
The leader of British Columbia's Opposition says he would introduce the largest provincial income tax cut in provincial history if his party is elected to form government this fall. Kevin Falcon says BC United would eliminate the tax on the first $50,000 earned by every person in B.C., allowing taxpayers to keep an additional $2,050 on average.

BC United promises huge provincial income tax cut, raising exemption to $50,000

Parliamentary committee to probe how Toronto terror suspect was admitted to Canada

Parliamentary committee to probe how Toronto terror suspect was admitted to Canada
A House of Commons committee will investigate how a man who is now facing terror charges was admitted to Canada and obtained citizenship. Members of Parliament on the public safety and national security committee voted unanimously on Tuesday to launch a study on the terror suspects arrested in the Toronto area last month. 

Parliamentary committee to probe how Toronto terror suspect was admitted to Canada

Canada's foreign worker program 'breeding ground' for modern slavery: report

Canada's foreign worker program 'breeding ground' for modern slavery: report
A recently released international report says Canada's temporary foreign worker program is a "breeding ground" for contemporary slavery. The final report by a United Nations special rapporteur who visited Canada last year says a power imbalance prevents workers from exercising their rights.

Canada's foreign worker program 'breeding ground' for modern slavery: report