Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Battle to keep historic town wet and safe

Battle to keep historic town wet and safe
The British Columbia gold rush town of Barkerville is drenched, both from overnight rains and sprinklers dousing its timber buildings, some more than 150 years old. It's part of an effort to save the historic park that is one of the Cariboo region's premier tourist attractions from the flames of the Antler Creek wildfire that is burning out of control about three kilometres away, said Stewart Cawood, Barkerville's public programming and media manager.

Battle to keep historic town wet and safe

One in custody in Vancouver stabbing

One in custody in Vancouver stabbing
One person is in custody after three stabbings in Vancouver, while the deaths of two women in the city are also being investigated. Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim is calling the events "deeply unsettling."

One in custody in Vancouver stabbing

Advocate warns of impending 'crisis' in B.C. child welfare staffing

Advocate warns of impending 'crisis' in B.C. child welfare staffing
British Columbia's child welfare system is either in a state of crisis or close to it with understaffing and unmanageable workloads, the province's representative for children said. A report released by Jennifer Charlesworth Tuesday said the environment for social workers at the Ministry of Children and Family Development is unhealthy for staff, characterized by undue stress, burnout and fear, and there's no time for the government to wait to address the "critical circumstances." 

Advocate warns of impending 'crisis' in B.C. child welfare staffing

Feds were warned about setting 'significant precedent' with Ukraine visa program

Feds were warned about setting 'significant precedent' with Ukraine visa program
Federal immigration officials warned the government it risked undermining the temporary immigration system with the design of the emergency visa program for war-displaced Ukrainians, newly released court documents show.  Immigration Department staff raised the concern in a memo to Sean Fraser, immigration minister at the time, shortly after the program was announced.

Feds were warned about setting 'significant precedent' with Ukraine visa program

Edmonton man found guilty on terrorism charge in United Kingdom

Edmonton man found guilty on terrorism charge in United Kingdom
An Edmonton man has been convicted in the United Kingdom of being a member of a proscribed terrorist group.  RCMP said Khaled Hussein, a Canadian citizen, was convicted Tuesday of being involved in al-Muhajiroun, an organization linked to killings and attacks in London. 

Edmonton man found guilty on terrorism charge in United Kingdom

Team chosen to design eight-lane replacement for B.C.'s Massey tunnel

Team chosen to design eight-lane replacement for B.C.'s Massey tunnel
A team has been selected to design a new eight-lane tunnel to replace the aging George Massey Tunnel under the Fraser River in Metro Vancouver, with British Columbia's transportation minister calling it a "huge step" for the project. Rob Fleming says the selection of the preferred proponent for the tunnel project, Cross Fraser Partnership, means design plans can now be finalized.

Team chosen to design eight-lane replacement for B.C.'s Massey tunnel