Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Break & Enter at a Surrey jewelry store

Break & Enter at a Surrey jewelry store
Surrey R-C-M-P say a sophisticated break and enter at a jewelry store has led to a Canada-wide warrant for one suspect. Mounties say the break-in on March 31st happened over several hours through a "sophisticated series of events using tools and other entry devices."

Break & Enter at a Surrey jewelry store

B.C. serial killer Robert Pickton dead after prison assault in Quebec

B.C. serial killer Robert Pickton dead after prison assault in Quebec
Robert Pickton, one of Canada's most notorious serial killers, died on Friday, 12 days after he was assaulted in prison. Pickton, an inmate at Port-Cartier Institution in Quebec, was 74.

B.C. serial killer Robert Pickton dead after prison assault in Quebec

Arson attack on Vancouver synagogue

Arson attack on Vancouver synagogue
BC politicians are condemning the arson attack on a Vancouver synagogue last night. Premier David Eby says in a statement posted on social media that the incident at Vancouver's Schara Tzedeck synagogue was a disgusting and reprehensible act of antisemitism that has no place in the province.

Arson attack on Vancouver synagogue

Forecasters warn B.C. of hot summer, as province offers more free air conditioners

Forecasters warn B.C. of hot summer, as province offers more free air conditioners
British Columbia's government is tripling a program that offers free air conditioners to people with low incomes as forecasters say the province should prepare for hotter-than-normal temperatures in June. Minister of Energy Josie Osborne told a news briefing that the program, launched last year and managed by the Crown power utility, BC Hydro, had already handed out 6,000 air conditioners and the government was prepared to fund another 19,000 or so.

Forecasters warn B.C. of hot summer, as province offers more free air conditioners

Teenager sexually assaulted in Vancouver

Teenager sexually assaulted in Vancouver
Vancouver Police say a man has been charged after he allegedly sexually assaulted a teenager on a bus in the Mount Pleasant neighbourhood. They say the investigation began two weeks ago when the 15-year-old girl was groped on a bus near the intersections of Broadway and Quebec streets.

Teenager sexually assaulted in Vancouver

Unifor alleges Amazon ramped up hiring at B.C. warehouse ahead of union vote

Unifor alleges Amazon ramped up hiring at B.C. warehouse ahead of union vote
Unifor has filed an unfair labour practice complaint against Amazon amid a vote by workers at a Delta, B.C., warehouse over whether they want to join the union. The union claims Amazon beefed up its workforce as Unifor was in the midst of a union drive to try and weaken support.

Unifor alleges Amazon ramped up hiring at B.C. warehouse ahead of union vote