Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Fatal weekend altercation in Penticton

Fatal weekend altercation in Penticton
Mounties say what appears to be a targeted altercation in Penticton over the weekend has left one person dead. Police say officers responded to the altercation on Lakeshore Drive involving several people on Sunday morning.

Fatal weekend altercation in Penticton

B.C. finance minister Conroy says she'll retire after provincial election this fall

B.C. finance minister Conroy says she'll retire after provincial election this fall
British Columbia's finance minister has announced she won't be running again in the next provincial election after serving in the legislature for nearly two decades. Katrine Conroy said it will be hard to leave the people she's worked with over the years, but at 66, it's time to step back to spend time with her family.

B.C. finance minister Conroy says she'll retire after provincial election this fall

Mayor says Ottawa will reverse course on Israel national day event after cancellation

Mayor says Ottawa will reverse course on Israel national day event after cancellation
Ottawa Mayor Mark Sutcliffe says he wants the city to reverse course after cancelling an event to mark Israel's national day.

Mayor says Ottawa will reverse course on Israel national day event after cancellation

Canadian Blood Services apologizes to LGBTQ+ groups for donation ban

Canadian Blood Services apologizes to LGBTQ+ groups for donation ban
Canadian Blood Services says it has apologized to LGBTQ+ groups for a past policy that banned gay and bisexual men from donating blood.

Canadian Blood Services apologizes to LGBTQ+ groups for donation ban

Canfor to close sawmill, curtail pulp production citing B.C. policy changes

Canfor to close sawmill, curtail pulp production citing B.C. policy changes
Canfor has announced it is permanently closing its Polar sawmill in Bear Lake, B.C., shutting a production line at its Northwood Pulp Mill in Prince George, and suspending its "planned reinvestment" in Houston, B.C.

Canfor to close sawmill, curtail pulp production citing B.C. policy changes

Immigration ministers to meet in Montreal over cuts to temporary visas

Immigration ministers to meet in Montreal over cuts to temporary visas
Federal and provincial immigration ministers will converge in Montreal Friday to puzzle out how to shrink the number of temporary residents in Canada while maintaining economic growth and the integrity of the overall system. 

Immigration ministers to meet in Montreal over cuts to temporary visas