Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Man dead after a pickup truck crashed into a bus stop in Surrey

Man dead after a pickup truck crashed into a bus stop in Surrey
A 33-year-old man died after a pickup truck crashed into a bus stop bench in Surrey where two people were waiting for a bus. Surrey RCMP say officers responded to the scene on Saturday afternoon after receiving a report of a motor vehicle collision.

Man dead after a pickup truck crashed into a bus stop in Surrey

One dead in Merritt rollover crash

One dead in Merritt rollover crash
Police in B-C say one person is dead and four others are injured following a serious single-vehicle rollover near Merritt. R-C-M-P say they were called to the scene at around 3:50 p.m. Saturday after receiving a report of a serious vehicle incident on Highway 5 north of Juliet Road. 

One dead in Merritt rollover crash

Police car stolen at Vancouver park

Police car stolen at Vancouver park
A man with a lengthy criminal record is back in custody after allegedly stealing a police car at a Vancouver park yesterday morning. Vancouver police say the car was allegedly stolen around 10:45 a.m. after officers were flagged down to help a woman in distress in East Vancouver. 

Police car stolen at Vancouver park

Nuremberg and Nazi comparisons to COVID-19 measures 'unacceptable': Rustad

Nuremberg and Nazi comparisons to COVID-19 measures 'unacceptable': Rustad
That's after video surfaced of Rustad saying his party would "certainly be participating with other jurisdictions" after being asked at an online meeting in July about where he stood on "Nuremberg 2.0," which is the idea that people behind public health measures during the pandemic should be put on trial.

Nuremberg and Nazi comparisons to COVID-19 measures 'unacceptable': Rustad

Year long trafficking investigation leads to 1 arrest and seizure of 23 kgs of illicit drugs

Year long trafficking investigation leads to 1 arrest and seizure of 23 kgs of illicit drugs
Surrey RCMP say a more than a year long drug trafficking investigation has led to one arrest and the seizure of 23-kilograms of M-D-M-A, a quantity of fentanyl and other illicit drugs. They say the probe targeted a network that allegedly supplied bulk amounts of illicit drugs to traffickers in several Greater Vancouver cities.

Year long trafficking investigation leads to 1 arrest and seizure of 23 kgs of illicit drugs

Vancouver police boost presence at protests, schools for Oct. 7 anniversary

Vancouver police boost presence at protests, schools for Oct. 7 anniversary
Vancouver Police Chief Const. Adam Palmer says planned and unplanned protests across the city are posing a "significant" risk of disorder, and officers trained specifically for large-scale events will be deployed. In addition, Palmer says tactical response and uniformed officers will be placed at "key locations" in consultation with leaders of both the Jewish and Muslim communities.

Vancouver police boost presence at protests, schools for Oct. 7 anniversary