Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada pledges $5.7M in humanitarian aid for Ukraine, with focus on children

Canada pledges $5.7M in humanitarian aid for Ukraine, with focus on children
International Development Minister Ahmed Hussen says Canada will provide $5.7 million for Ukrainians to meet their basic needs. Ottawa says it's maintaining solidarity with Ukraine two-and-a-half years into Russia's full-scale invasion as Hussen visits Kyiv.

Canada pledges $5.7M in humanitarian aid for Ukraine, with focus on children

Multiple Jewish organizations, hospitals across Canada receive identical bomb threats

Multiple Jewish organizations, hospitals across Canada receive identical bomb threats
Police in multiple cities across Canada are responding to bomb threats that were sent to Jewish organizations, synagogues and some hospitals this morning.  B'nai Brith Canada says more than 100 Jewish institutions received an identical email at 5 a.m. ET threatening explosions including at their offices in Toronto and Montreal.

Multiple Jewish organizations, hospitals across Canada receive identical bomb threats

Grizzly bear cubs seen on Vancouver Island for first time could have big impact

Grizzly bear cubs seen on Vancouver Island for first time could have big impact
When wildlife photographer Catherine Babault captured images of a female grizzly bear with two cubs encountering a herd of elk on Vancouver Island last month, she knew she had witnessed something special.

Grizzly bear cubs seen on Vancouver Island for first time could have big impact

Man charged in alleged assault

Man charged in alleged assault
Police say a man has been charged after an alleged assault last month where the victim reported waking up to a strange man groping her in her home. Surrey RCMP say they responded to the report at about 3:15 a-m on July 20th and the victim told officers that the suspect ran away when she screamed for help.

Man charged in alleged assault

Facebook marketplace scam in Okanagan

Facebook marketplace scam in Okanagan
Police in the Okanagan are warning the public of a new Facebook marketplace scam that involves sellers as the victims. Kelowna R-C-M-P say the would-be buyer offers to pay for the items and claims they will electronically transfer the money, telling the seller to check their email.

Facebook marketplace scam in Okanagan

'Unacceptable': Business groups say rail stoppage would hit grain, groceries and more

'Unacceptable': Business groups say rail stoppage would hit grain, groceries and more
Canadian National Railway Co. and Canadian Pacific Kansas City Ltd. have already begun a phased shutdown of their networks as the deadline approaches to come to an agreement with the Teamsters Canada Rail Conference for a new labour contract. Unless deals are reached, the companies plan to lock out workers early Thursday and the union says it's prepared to call a strike that day.

'Unacceptable': Business groups say rail stoppage would hit grain, groceries and more