Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Wildfire continues to rage in Ashcroft

Wildfire continues to rage in Ashcroft
Ashcroft Mayor Barbara Roden says her community is in a wait-and-see situation as the 150-square-kilometre Shetland Creek wildfire looms nearby. Roden says Interior Health has moved 21 long-term care residents and five in assisted living out of the area as a precaution, as locals have been told to be ready to evacuate on short notice.

Wildfire continues to rage in Ashcroft

Body found in water: VPD

Body found in water: VPD
Vancouver Police say they're investigating a woman's death after her body was found in the water near a popular downtown beach over the weekend. A statement from Sergeant Steve Addison says a passerby saw the body at Sunset Beach yesterday.

Body found in water: VPD

Homicide in Maple Ridge

Homicide in Maple Ridge
Police are investigating a homicide in Maple Ridge. R-C-M-P say officers responded to reports of a woman bleeding from serious injuries along 232 Street, just north of Maple Ridge Park, yesterday afternoon. 

Homicide in Maple Ridge

Interest rate cut possible this week: Economists

Interest rate cut possible this week: Economists
Economists and market watchers are betting the Bank of Canada will deliver another interest rate cut this week amid mounting evidence that inflation is sustainably easing. Expectations that the bank will lower its overnight lending rate when it makes its scheduled announcement Wednesday have been high since last week's release of the latest Statistics Canada inflation report, which showed annual inflation cooled to 2.7 per cent in June.

Interest rate cut possible this week: Economists

Surrey female assaulted in her sleep

Surrey female assaulted in her sleep
Surrey RCMP say they are looking for a male suspect after he allegedly got into the residence of a woman and groped the victim in her sleep. Police say officers responded to the call on Saturday morning in the 141-hundred block of 91 Avenue.

Surrey female assaulted in her sleep

Motorcyclist killed in crash with fire truck in Vancouver

Motorcyclist killed in crash with fire truck in Vancouver
A motorcyclist has died after a collision involving a Vancouver fire truck responding to a call. Vancouver Fire Rescue Services say in a statement that the crash happened this afternoon near Lost Lagoon on the Stanley Park Causeway.

Motorcyclist killed in crash with fire truck in Vancouver