Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Three bodies recovered from B.C. park where mountaineers went missing

Three bodies recovered from B.C. park where mountaineers went missing
Mounties in Squamish say three bodies have been recovered from the area of Garibaldi Provincial Park where three mountaineers went missing last month.

Three bodies recovered from B.C. park where mountaineers went missing

Joly meets with new British counterpart after political sea change in the U.K.

Joly meets with new British counterpart after political sea change in the U.K.
She is the first foreign minister to be invited to meet with David Lammy in London since his recent appointment as U.K. secretary of state for foreign, Commonwealth and development affairs.

Joly meets with new British counterpart after political sea change in the U.K.

Four dead after crash involving semi-trailer carrying timber in B.C.'s West Kootenays

Four dead after crash involving semi-trailer carrying timber in B.C.'s West Kootenays
Mounties in British Columbia's West Kootenay region say four people are dead after a crash that closed a stretch of Highway 6 for 11 hours. Slocan Lake RCMP say it happened south of Nakusp at about 5:50 p.m. on Friday, when a passenger truck crossed the centre line while a semi-trailer was approaching in the oncoming lane.

Four dead after crash involving semi-trailer carrying timber in B.C.'s West Kootenays

Merritt hospital emergency room closes for 48 hours amid doctor shortage

Merritt hospital emergency room closes for 48 hours amid doctor shortage
A doctor shortage has forced a temporary closure at the Nicola Valley Hospital in Merritt. Interior Health says emergency care at the hospital will be closed for 48 hours.

Merritt hospital emergency room closes for 48 hours amid doctor shortage

IHIT investigating 'suspicious death' of 45-year-old man in Hope

IHIT investigating 'suspicious death' of 45-year-old man in Hope
British Columbia's Integrated Homicide Investigation Team has been deployed after a "suspicious death" in Hope. It says Mounties responded to a police report of a dead person on Friday and arrived to find the body of a 46-year-old man, who appeared to be the victim of a homicide.

IHIT investigating 'suspicious death' of 45-year-old man in Hope

B.C. heat records tumble, Environment Canada to provide update on heat wave

B.C. heat records tumble, Environment Canada to provide update on heat wave
A summary from Environment Canada shows 22 daily high temperature records fell across the province on Sunday, including one that had stood for almost 120 years.

B.C. heat records tumble, Environment Canada to provide update on heat wave