Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Minimum wage going up June 1st

Minimum wage going up June 1st
B-C's minimum hourly wage is increasing to 17 dollars and 40 cents, up from 16.75. The Labour Ministry says the 3.9 per cent increase kicks in on Saturday. It says in a statement that the increase will help about 240-thousand workers in the province who currently earn less than 17.40 an hour.

Minimum wage going up June 1st

Israel close to approving Gaza reunification program before Rafah invasion: Miller

Israel close to approving Gaza reunification program before Rafah invasion: Miller
Immigration Minister Marc Miller says Israel seemed to be on the verge of approving a program to get Palestinian relatives of Canadians out of the Gaza Strip before the country's invasion of the town of Rafah. His comments come amid mounting criticism over measures introduced months ago that were meant to bring relatives of Canadians from conflict zones in the Gaza Strip and Sudan to safety.

Israel close to approving Gaza reunification program before Rafah invasion: Miller

Vancouver Island man charged with child luring and making sexual abuse material: RCMP

Vancouver Island man charged with child luring and making sexual abuse material: RCMP
Police in British Columbia say a man from Vancouver Island has been arrested and charged with child exploitation offences following a tip from American authorities. RCMP say in a statement that the B.C. Integrated Child Exploitation Unit received information from U.S. Homeland Security Investigations last September about a suspect who was allegedly exploiting children using a social media application. 

Vancouver Island man charged with child luring and making sexual abuse material: RCMP

Humboldt Broncos families fight to keep Saskatchewan government named in lawsuit

Humboldt Broncos families fight to keep Saskatchewan government named in lawsuit
Lawyers for several Humboldt Broncos families are in court fighting a bid from the government of Saskatchewan to have it removed as a defendant in a lawsuit over the 2018 deadly bus crash. Five families are suing over the bus crash, alleging the province knew the rural intersection where it happened had problems with visibility but did nothing to fix it.

Humboldt Broncos families fight to keep Saskatchewan government named in lawsuit

Darpan 10 with Mr. Amjad Bajwa, President of Cricket Canada

Darpan 10 with Mr. Amjad Bajwa, President of Cricket Canada
We sat down with Amjad Bajwa, the newly elected President of Cricket Canada, to discuss the future of cricket in Canada. As one of the country's fastest-growing sports, we explore his plans and visions for advancing the game nationwide.

Darpan 10 with Mr. Amjad Bajwa, President of Cricket Canada

Man charged in home invasion

Man charged in home invasion
A man charged in the death of a 78-year-old woman in Vancouver has pleaded guilty to manslaughter. The man entered the plea in B-C Supreme Court this week in connection with a January 2021 home invasion that killed the senior.

Man charged in home invasion