Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Fourth accused in Nijjar murder appears in B.C. court

Fourth accused in Nijjar murder appears in B.C. court
A fourth man accused in the murder of British Columbia Sikh activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar will next appear at provincial court on May 21, the same day the other three accused are scheduled for a hearing. The BC Prosecution Service says 22-year-old Amandeep Singh appeared via video link for his first appearance in a Surrey, B.C., court on Wednesday, and the matter has been put forward to next week.

Fourth accused in Nijjar murder appears in B.C. court

Rain keeping Fort McMurray fire at bay, as thousands out of homes in Western Canada

Rain keeping Fort McMurray fire at bay, as thousands out of homes in Western Canada
A wildfire that has forced thousands out of their homes in the Alberta oilsands hub city of Fort McMurray was held in place Thursday as rain and cooler temperatures swept the area. Alberta Wildfire information officer Christie Tucker said the blaze remained out of control – the only such designated fire in the province – but it did not grow overnight and remained at 200 square kilometres in size.

Rain keeping Fort McMurray fire at bay, as thousands out of homes in Western Canada

Teenagers target people's faces by 'soft air guns' on Vancouver Island

Teenagers target people's faces by 'soft air guns' on Vancouver Island
Police on Vancouver Island have issued a warning after responding to a series of reports about people being struck in the face and neck by teenagers shooting what police describe as "water gel blasters" or soft air guns.  The statement from Campbell River R-C-M-P says the teens are driving by and shooting at pedestrians.

Teenagers target people's faces by 'soft air guns' on Vancouver Island

Fuel surcharge removed from BC Ferries 

Fuel surcharge removed from BC Ferries 
BC Ferries is removing a four per cent fuel surcharge from all fares, as it expects a record number of people and vehicles on board its vessels this summer. It says the move set to take effect June 1st will increase affordability for customers.   

Fuel surcharge removed from BC Ferries 

3 charged in illicit drug lab

3 charged in illicit drug lab
Three men have been charged after a Vancouver Police investigation into an illicit drug lab that was producing fentanyl and other deadly street drugs. Police say the 14-month investigation targeted a group that was manufacturing and trafficking illicit drugs at various locations throughout the region. 

3 charged in illicit drug lab

B.C. government and social media giants make deal on non-consensual intimate images

B.C. government and social media giants make deal on non-consensual intimate images
The British Columbia government and social media giants have made what they call a "historic collaboration" for youth safety online. A joint statement from Premier David Eby and representatives of Meta, Google, TikTok, X and Snap Inc., the parent of Snapchat, says they met to help young people stay safe online, one of the most important challenges facing families, government and companies. 

B.C. government and social media giants make deal on non-consensual intimate images