Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Quebec premier defends new museum on Québécois nation after Indigenous criticism

Quebec premier defends new museum on Québécois nation after Indigenous criticism
Quebec Premier François Legault is defending his comments about a new history museum after he was accused by a prominent First Nations group of trying to erase their history.

Quebec premier defends new museum on Québécois nation after Indigenous criticism

London Drugs president says, no customer data taken

London Drugs president says, no customer data taken
The president of London Drugs has issued a letter apologizing for a cybersecurity incident that forced the company to close stores for more than a week, but he says there's no evidence customer databases were compromised.

London Drugs president says, no customer data taken

Another barge adrift in Vancouver prompts speedy coast guard response

Another barge adrift in Vancouver prompts speedy coast guard response
Another barge went adrift in Vancouver's English Bay, prompting a quick response from the Canadian Coast Guard.

Another barge adrift in Vancouver prompts speedy coast guard response

B.C.'s Columbia River watershed declared infected with fish-killing whirling disease

B.C.'s Columbia River watershed declared infected with fish-killing whirling disease
The Columbia River watershed in B.C. has been declared an infected area for whirling disease, a parasite that causes deformities in fish and has a high mortality rate.

B.C.'s Columbia River watershed declared infected with fish-killing whirling disease

B.C. drug deaths reach 192 in March; Ottawa approves request to prohibit public use

B.C. drug deaths reach 192 in March; Ottawa approves request to prohibit public use
On the same day the British Columbia government's approach to the overdose crisis faces a major shift, the provincial coroner announced another 192 people were killed by illicit drugs in March.

B.C. drug deaths reach 192 in March; Ottawa approves request to prohibit public use

Ottawa approves British Columbia's request to make public drug use illegal again

Ottawa approves British Columbia's request to make public drug use illegal again
Public drug use became illegal in British Columbia once again on Tuesday, after the federal government granted the province's request to scale back its drug decriminalization pilot.  The change represents a major policy climbdown for the provincial NDP government more than a year into the three-year pilot program with Ottawa that is aimed at tackling the deadly overdose crisis. 

Ottawa approves British Columbia's request to make public drug use illegal again