Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Cybersafety needs to be a priority for school aged kids: Coquitlam RCMP

Cybersafety needs to be a priority for school aged kids: Coquitlam RCMP
The Coquitlam R-C-M-P is urging parents to be mindful of what information about their children they share online. The Mounties say while sharing a back-to-school photo can be exciting, it could also give away important and private information without intention.

Cybersafety needs to be a priority for school aged kids: Coquitlam RCMP

Anti theft measures at Tim Hortons

Anti theft measures at Tim Hortons
A Tim Hortons location in Vancouver's Chinatown neighbourhood has removed most of the furniture from its dining area. The coffee shop is moving to a standing-room style of service as other stores in the city make changes of their own to discourage theft.

Anti theft measures at Tim Hortons

Help needed to solve BC cold case

Help needed to solve BC cold case
Mounties in West Kelowna are appealing to the public for new information that could help solve a double homicide in Peachland 20 years ago. Police say Dean Desimone and an unknown male suspect entered a home and got into a shootout with an occupant, Anthony Gorkoff, in April 2004.

Help needed to solve BC cold case

CBSA seizes drugs at YVR

CBSA seizes drugs at YVR
The Canada Border Services Agency says officers at the Vancouver International Airport seized nearly 25 kilograms of methamphetamine concealed in passenger suitcases destined for Sydney, Australia, in two separate incidents last month. The agency says border officers used a detector dog to intercept 10 kilograms of methamphetamine concealed in false compartments in two suitcases on July 27th.

CBSA seizes drugs at YVR

Calgarians do better on second day of water rationing as pipe repairs continue

Calgarians do better on second day of water rationing as pipe repairs continue
City officials say Calgarians are getting better at cutting down on their water use, but need to do more to stop the taps from potentially running dry. The city says 497 million litres of water were used on Tuesday.

Calgarians do better on second day of water rationing as pipe repairs continue

Opposition Leader Falcon ends BC United election campaign, backs BC Conservatives

Opposition Leader Falcon ends BC United election campaign, backs BC Conservatives
British Columbia Opposition Leader Kevin Falcon has announced that he is suspending BC United's election campaign and is encouraging supporters to instead back the rival BC Conservative Party.

Opposition Leader Falcon ends BC United election campaign, backs BC Conservatives