Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Classroom space to be boosted in Surrey School

Classroom space to be boosted in Surrey School
A Surrey high school is about to boost its classroom space in a big way. The province says it will invest 78.6-million-dollars on a four-storey addition to Fleetwood Park Secondary School. The new expansion will add 800 student seats and is set to include a neighbourhood learning centre, an Indigenous learning and meeting space as well as a space for child-care.

Classroom space to be boosted in Surrey School

B.C. man sentenced to four years for manslaughter in girlfriend's shooting death

B.C. man sentenced to four years for manslaughter in girlfriend's shooting death
A man who told police he was "joking around" with his girlfriend when he fatally shot her in the head has been sentenced to four years in prison for manslaughter with an additional six months for possessing a rifle without a licence. The British Columbia provincial court decision in Vancouver says Trevor Brown was 18 when he shot Anichka Loeffler, who was also 18, in November 2020.

B.C. man sentenced to four years for manslaughter in girlfriend's shooting death

Injured B.C. bear put down after being fed watermelon: RCMP

Injured B.C. bear put down after being fed watermelon: RCMP
RCMP in Coquitlam say an injured bear had to be put down after officers discovered that residents had been feeding it. They say police and the BC Conservation Officer Service went to a neighbourhood in Coquitlam on Wednesday and found an injured bear surrounded by a large crowd. 

Injured B.C. bear put down after being fed watermelon: RCMP

Ottawa still mulling over bonus for CEO of CBC, but won't make decision public

Ottawa still mulling over bonus for CEO of CBC, but won't make decision public
The Liberal government said it has not yet made a decision on whether it will grant a bonus for the head of CBC after the public broadcaster eliminated hundreds of jobs. But because of the Privacy Act, it will likely be up to CEO Catherine Tait to publicly disclose if she does receive one, as she has done in past for the 2021-22 fiscal year at a past Canadian Heritage committee. 

Ottawa still mulling over bonus for CEO of CBC, but won't make decision public

Coquitlam RCMP seize 1.5kgs of drugs

Coquitlam RCMP seize 1.5kgs of drugs
RCMP in Coquitlam say a report of a suspicious vehicle led to the seizure of 1.5 kilograms of suspected fentanyl as well as heroin and methamphetamine. Police say officers found the vehicle in an underground parking lot of an apartment building in the area of North Road and Smith Street.

Coquitlam RCMP seize 1.5kgs of drugs

Machete assault in Williams Lake

Machete assault in Williams Lake
Mounties in Williams Lake say they're investigating a break-in and assault that allegedly involved three men carrying machetes. Police say officers were called to a home overnight Thursday, and one person was visibly injured when the residents came outside.

Machete assault in Williams Lake