Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Five charged after Metro Vancouver drug lab bust: RCMP

Five charged after Metro Vancouver drug lab bust: RCMP
Mounties in Metro Vancouver say five men have been charged following an investigation that resulted in the dismantling of a large and sophisticated synthetic drug lab. RCMP say they began the probe in 2022, leading to the identification of people suspected of being involved in the production and trafficking of the drug MDMA.

Five charged after Metro Vancouver drug lab bust: RCMP

13 arrested in Railway protest

13 arrested in Railway protest
Thirteen people have been charged with mischief over accusations they blocked the Vancouver Canadian National Railway line for hours during what police said was an unlawful protest last May.  Vancouver police say the B-C Prosecution Service approved charges on Monday, following the police investigation into the pro-Palestinian protest on May 31st. 

13 arrested in Railway protest

Trade minister criticizes higher U.S. softwood lumber duties as unfair, unwarranted

Trade minister criticizes higher U.S. softwood lumber duties as unfair, unwarranted
Canada's international trade minister is criticizing the U.S. Department of Commerce for nearly doubling duties on softwood lumber, saying the move is unfair and unwarranted. Minister Mary Ng said the U.S. has significantly increased duties on softwood lumber from Canada, to 14.54 per cent from 8.05 per cent.

Trade minister criticizes higher U.S. softwood lumber duties as unfair, unwarranted

Immigration minister looking into revoking terror suspect's citizenship

Immigration minister looking into revoking terror suspect's citizenship
Immigration Minister Marc Miller says he plans to look into whether the man accused of plotting a terror attack in Toronto should have his Canadian citizenship revoked. Ahmed Fouad Mostafa Eldidi, 62, and his son Mostafa Eldidi, 26, were arrested in Richmond Hill, Ont., and face nine terrorism charges including conspiracy to commit murder on behalf of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.

Immigration minister looking into revoking terror suspect's citizenship

Senior assaulted in a park

Senior assaulted in a park
Mounties in North Vancouver are asking for the public’s help to identify a suspect after a senior was assaulted in a local park last month. R-C-M-P say officers arrived at a playground in North Vancouver on July 27th at 6:30 p.m. when the victim was assaulted after trying to enter the playground to throw away his dog’s waste.

Senior assaulted in a park

District of West Vancouver passes zoning changes, falls in line with province

District of West Vancouver passes zoning changes, falls in line with province
Councillors in the District of West Vancouver have narrowly voted in favour of getting onboard with provincial legislation requiring communities to allow multi-unit housing on lots that have previously been zoned for single-family homes. The district, which includes some of British Columbia's most expensive properties, had initially rejected the provincial legislation aimed at easing the housing crisis.

District of West Vancouver passes zoning changes, falls in line with province