Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Lawyer says RCMP bullying claims in Surrey policing case could cause 'undue' concern

Lawyer says RCMP bullying claims in Surrey policing case could cause 'undue' concern
A B.C. government lawyer says court documents in a policing dispute with the City of Surrey contain significant allegations of harassment and bullying by the RCMP that should be kept from public view because they could cause "undue public concern." Trevor Bant was speaking at the start of a hearing on Surrey's petition challenging a direction by Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth that the city transition from the RCMP to the municipal Surrey Police Service.

Lawyer says RCMP bullying claims in Surrey policing case could cause 'undue' concern

White Rock stabbing suspect arrested

White Rock stabbing suspect arrested
A statement from the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says 27-year-old Dimitri Nelson Hyacinth has been charged over the alleged assault of a 28-year man, Jatinder Singh, along the White Rock pier and promenade on April 21st. Two days later, 26-year-old Kulwinder Singh Sohi was fatally stabbed in the same area, though R-C-M-P did not provide an update on any further charges.

White Rock stabbing suspect arrested

B.C. Conservatives' 'biological sex' sports bill is quickly quashed in legislature

B.C. Conservatives' 'biological sex' sports bill is quickly quashed in legislature
A proposal by British Columbia Conservative Leader John Rustad to use "biological sex" to classify participants in publicly funded sports teams and events, effectively banning transgender athletes, didn't get to first base.

B.C. Conservatives' 'biological sex' sports bill is quickly quashed in legislature

Alberta sexual assault centres to be consulted on spending additional $10 million

Alberta sexual assault centres to be consulted on spending additional $10 million
The Alberta government will consult with the province's sexual assault centres to determine how to spend an additional $10 million over the next three years.

Alberta sexual assault centres to be consulted on spending additional $10 million

Alberta pulls funding help for low-income transit riders in Edmonton and Calgary

Alberta pulls funding help for low-income transit riders in Edmonton and Calgary
The mayors of Alberta's two biggest cities say the province has pulled $12 million in funding meant to help low-income residents access public transit.

Alberta pulls funding help for low-income transit riders in Edmonton and Calgary

Residential Schools Lawsuit

Residential Schools Lawsuit
The lawyer for a residential school survivor leading a proposed class-action lawsuit against the Catholic Church and one of its priests says legal action is a fallback to get everyone to come together and resolve the issue.

Residential Schools Lawsuit