Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

2 injured in Surrey hit and run

2 injured in Surrey hit and run
Two people were injured in separate hit-and-run crashes early Sunday in Surrey. Police say the first crash involved a Dodge Challenger and a Tesla and the occupants of the Challenger fled the scene on foot.   

2 injured in Surrey hit and run

Targeted shooting in Downtown Vancouver

Targeted shooting in Downtown Vancouver
Police say a shooting in downtown Vancouver Saturday night appears to have been targeted. The city's police department says multiple witnesses began calling 9-1-1 around 5:40 p-m, after shots were fired near Richards and Robson streets.

Targeted shooting in Downtown Vancouver

Ammo seized in Port Alberni

Ammo seized in Port Alberni
Police say a 48-year-old man is facing several charges after officers seized several guns, thousands of rounds of ammunition and homemade explosive devices from a home in Port Alberni. Mounties carried out a controlled detonation of a device at the home yesterday afternoon. 

Ammo seized in Port Alberni

Driver allegedly spits on cyclist & strikes them with their vehicle

Driver allegedly spits on cyclist & strikes them with their vehicle
Victoria police say they are looking for a driver who allegedly spat on a cyclist and struck them with their vehicle. They say the cyclist was at an intersection the afternoon of March 17th when the driver of a black S-U-V spat at them through their open window.

Driver allegedly spits on cyclist & strikes them with their vehicle

On pre-budget charm offensive, Trudeau announces plans to expand $10-a-day child care

On pre-budget charm offensive, Trudeau announces plans to expand $10-a-day child care
The federal government's pre-budget charm offensive is back for a second straight day — this time aimed at parents and child care providers. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the government plans to provide more than $1 billion in low-cost loans, grants and student loan forgiveness to expand child care across Canada. 

On pre-budget charm offensive, Trudeau announces plans to expand $10-a-day child care

'We won't forget': How some Muslims view Poilievre's stance on Israel-Hamas war

'We won't forget': How some Muslims view Poilievre's stance on Israel-Hamas war
A spokesman for a regional Muslim advocacy group says Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's stance on the Israel-Hamas war could complicate his party's relationship with Muslim Canadians. Nawaz Tahir of the Hikma Public Affairs Council in London, Ont., met Poilievre during the leader's outreach efforts in southwestern Ontario last summer. 

'We won't forget': How some Muslims view Poilievre's stance on Israel-Hamas war