Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Suspect charged in Nigeria over sextortion of B.C. boy who died: RCMP

Suspect charged in Nigeria over sextortion of B.C. boy who died: RCMP
Police in British Columbia say a suspect in Nigeria has been charged over the sextortion of a B-C boy who died last year.  Surrey RCMP say officers from their detachment travelled to Nigeria last summer, where they worked with local authorities to arrest two people, one of whom was released.

Suspect charged in Nigeria over sextortion of B.C. boy who died: RCMP

Indian-origin man charged with stealing donations from temples in Canada

Indian-origin man charged with stealing donations from temples in Canada
A 41-year-old Indo-Canadian man has been charged with breaking into temples and stealing cash from donation boxes. The accused has been identified as Jagdish Pandher from Brampton city. According to police, multiple break-and-enter incidents were reported in Peel Region comprising Brampton, Mississauga and Caledon between March and August 2023.

Indian-origin man charged with stealing donations from temples in Canada

Freeland announces $199 million in support for low-income renters, shelters

Freeland announces $199 million in support for low-income renters, shelters
Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland says the federal government is putting nearly $200 million in new money toward supporting low-income renters and shelters. Ottawa is pouring an additional $99 million into the Canada Housing Benefit, which offers financial support for low-income renters in partnership with provinces and territories.

Freeland announces $199 million in support for low-income renters, shelters

Canada sanctions Hamas leaders as Joly says more aid must reach Gaza Strip

Canada sanctions Hamas leaders as Joly says more aid must reach Gaza Strip
Canada has sanctioned nearly a dozen militants in response to brutal attack by Hamas and other groups on Israel last year. Canadians are now barred from any financial dealings with 10 people linked to Hamas, including senior leaders, and one person associated with a Palestinian militant group called Islamic Jihad.

Canada sanctions Hamas leaders as Joly says more aid must reach Gaza Strip

Fatal train collision in New Westminster

Fatal train collision in New Westminster
Police in New Westminster say one person is dead after being struck by a train on Monday. Police say the pedestrian was killed at the intersection of Spruce Street and Brunette Avenue in the city at around 3:30 p-m.   

Fatal train collision in New Westminster

Trudeau, Simon send wishes for quick recovery after King Charles cancer diagnosis

Trudeau, Simon send wishes for quick recovery after King Charles cancer diagnosis
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau joined a chorus of well-wishers from Canada and around the world on Monday in wishing King Charles a speedy recovery after Buckingham Palace revealed the monarch has been diagnosed with cancer. 

Trudeau, Simon send wishes for quick recovery after King Charles cancer diagnosis