Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

'Prominent' person in B.C. wine industry under investigation for sex assault: RCMP

'Prominent' person in B.C. wine industry under investigation for sex assault: RCMP
Police in Oliver, B.C., say they're investigating a "prominent member" of the province's wine industry for an alleged sexual assault on a Mexican migrant worker. South Okanagan RCMP say the unnamed suspect employed the worker, and they believe there are other victims or witnesses who have yet to speak to investigators.

'Prominent' person in B.C. wine industry under investigation for sex assault: RCMP

One dead, 11 injured after tour bus from Montreal crashes in New York state

One dead, 11 injured after tour bus from Montreal crashes in New York state
New York State Police are reporting that one person is dead and 11 people are injured after a bus coming from Montreal crashed on Interstate Highway 87 in Lake George, N.Y. Police say that in addition to the death, one passenger suffered serious injuries and 10 people were left with minor injuries after a Skyway Coach Line tour bus crashed at around 12:50 p.m. today.

One dead, 11 injured after tour bus from Montreal crashes in New York state

Move to allow Canadian drugs to be imported by U.S. creates shortage fears

Move to allow Canadian drugs to be imported by U.S. creates shortage fears
A major shift in United States pharmaceutical policy allowing for the importation of drugs from Canada is creating fears about future drug shortages in this country. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced plans Friday to allow Florida to import millions of dollars worth of pharmaceuticals from Canadian wholesalers as a way to avoid the high cost of drugs in that country.

Move to allow Canadian drugs to be imported by U.S. creates shortage fears

South Asian communities grapple with extortion threats in B.C., Ontario, Alberta

South Asian communities grapple with extortion threats in B.C., Ontario, Alberta
In early December 2023, police in Abbotsford, B.C., revealed that extortion letters had been circulating among businesses in the city and that its major crime unit was looking into them.  Abbotsford police said at the time that social media posts depicting an extortion letter were consistent with what they'd been seeing.

South Asian communities grapple with extortion threats in B.C., Ontario, Alberta

Vancouver Police say man posed as dad, trying to take five-year-old girl from daycare

Vancouver Police say man posed as dad, trying to take five-year-old girl from daycare
Police in Vancouver say a man posing as a parent tried to take a five-year-old girl from a home daycare, in what they call a "troubling" case. They say the incident happened on Dec. 13, when a man showed up at the East Vancouver after-school daycare at about 3:30 p.m. and asked for the girl by name.

Vancouver Police say man posed as dad, trying to take five-year-old girl from daycare

Homicide team takes over case of a missing man from Chilliwack

Homicide team takes over case of a missing man from Chilliwack
The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team has stepped into a missing person case involving a B.C. man whose disappearance police now say is suspicious. The team says in a news release that foul play is suspected in the disappearance of 41-year-old Jamie Bristol of Chilliwack, B.C.

Homicide team takes over case of a missing man from Chilliwack