Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

Consul-general to New York set to testify about government purchase of residence

Consul-general to New York set to testify about government purchase of residence
Canada's consul-general in New York has been given a new opportunity to testify before a House committee about his official residence, which the government recently purchased for $9 million. Tom Clark has been called to appear at the government operations committee either on Sept. 12 or a later date that month.

Consul-general to New York set to testify about government purchase of residence

Bye-bye to Banff pedestrian zone after Labour Day long weekend

Bye-bye to Banff pedestrian zone after Labour Day long weekend
It'll be one last hurrah for a pedestrian zone along the main downtown drag of Banff, Alta., this long weekend. The Rocky Mountain tourist town is telling businesses to take down outdoor patios or retail displays on the Banff Avenue roadway after Labour Day. 

Bye-bye to Banff pedestrian zone after Labour Day long weekend

Sharp rise in whooping cough cases reported in several provinces

Sharp rise in whooping cough cases reported in several provinces
Whooping cough cases are on the rise in Canada, with some provinces reporting sharp increases compared to pre-pandemic averages. More than 11,670 cases have been reported in Quebec so far this year, a significant jump from the annual average of 562 cases between 2015 and 2019. 

Sharp rise in whooping cough cases reported in several provinces

Ontario teen dies after falling off 50-metre cliff in popular Metro Vancouver park

Ontario teen dies after falling off 50-metre cliff in popular Metro Vancouver park
A 17-year-old from Ontario is dead after climbing over a fence and falling off the edge of a cliff in a popular park in North Vancouver. Dwayne Derban, assistant fire chief with North Vancouver Fire and Rescue, says the boy was in an off-trail area of Lynn Canyon Park when it happened Sunday afternoon.

Ontario teen dies after falling off 50-metre cliff in popular Metro Vancouver park

Ticket blitz in Surrey

Ticket blitz in Surrey
Mounties in Surrey issued 40 tickets in two hours on Monday as part of a blitz aimed at protecting roadside workers. Police say 28 tickets were issued for cellphone use, eight for seatbelt violations and four for speeding.

Ticket blitz in Surrey

Sea otter pup livestream on now

Sea otter pup livestream on now
The Vancouver Aquarium says its sea otter pup online stream is now live. Canadians can see the progress of rescued sea otter pup Tofino as she settles into her permanent home. 

Sea otter pup livestream on now