Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:59 AM
  • Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Police believe the remains of the women were sent to the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg in May 2022.

Jeremy Skibicki is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in the killings of Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women. Court heard he disposed of their bodies in garbage bins.

The remains of Rebecca Contois were found in a different landfill and an unidentified woman, who an Indigenous grassroots community named Buffalo Woman, has not been located.

Kinew said he was at the landfill on Sunday for a traditional ceremony with family members of Harris and Myran. They all returned early Monday to watch that first blue dump truck carry a load to the sifting facility.

"It is an intense emotion that you feel standing on that site with those families," Kinew said. "I hope that you know that you are loved and valued and that Morgan and Mercedes are loved and valued."

He added that dates on some garbage, including a milk carton and newspapers, indicate searchers are looking in the right area of the landfill.

Asbestos has also been found, he said, but it has been safely moved, and workers are wearing full protective gear.

Kinew said it has officially been two years since the family of Harris learned she had been killed. In that time, he said, there have been many difficult moments as well as some division over whether there should be a search of the landfill.

Manitobans powered through, he said.

The provincial and federal governments each committed in March to providing $20 million to fund the search.

"When we work together, we can move mountains," Kinew said. "Today, at Prairie Green, we are moving a mountain."

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. politicians ask for audit of $3.86 billion North Shore water treatment plant

B.C. politicians ask for audit of $3.86 billion North Shore water treatment plant
A group of local politicians from B.C.'s Lower Mainland are asking the provincial auditor general to investigate how the cost of a wastewater treatment plant could balloon to $3.86 billion. The original cost of the North Shore Wastewater Treatment Plant in 2018 was $700 million and it was expected to open in 2020, but the Metro Vancouver regional district fired the contractor over construction delays in 2021. 

B.C. politicians ask for audit of $3.86 billion North Shore water treatment plant

Nanaimo man charged with gun offences

Nanaimo man charged with gun offences
The Canada Border Services Agency says a man from Nanaimo has been charged with nine counts of gun and drug-related offences. The agency says it launched an investigation after border officers inspected three firearm suppressors at the Vancouver airport between August and October 2022.

Nanaimo man charged with gun offences

Targeted shooting in Penticton

Targeted shooting in Penticton
Mounties in Penticton are asking for the public's help after a man was shot in the leg. They say officers responded to the call around 7 a-m yesterday, and the victim was brought to hospital.

Targeted shooting in Penticton

Attempted robbery at UBC

Attempted robbery at UBC
Mounties at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver are searching for a suspect after an attempted robbery with a weapon. Police say officers responded to an assault near the school's Rose Garden parking structure around 1:30 p-m yesterday, and found a victim suffering from non-life-threatening injuries.

Attempted robbery at UBC

Work pauses on Calgary water pipe after injuries; consumption continues to rise

Work pauses on Calgary water pipe after injuries; consumption continues to rise
Repairs to a fractured Calgary water pipe were paused Thursday after two workers were injured at the site, while the city's mayor pleaded with residents to step up their conservation efforts. Gondek said daily water use increased by another eight million litres on Wednesday.

Work pauses on Calgary water pipe after injuries; consumption continues to rise

Tech summit coming to Vancouver

Tech summit coming to Vancouver
Global technology conference Web Summit is headed to Vancouver next May. Destination Vancouver says it expects the event to generate 172-million dollars in direct spending and 279-million dollars in overall economic impact for B-C over three years.

Tech summit coming to Vancouver